Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thenightingale_gw

Vinca/Creeping Jenny hell

thenightingale
11 years ago

We recently purchased a home where a vine I'm certain is vinca/creeping Jenny (creeping viney groundcover, dark leaves, small purple flowers) has overtaken the garden (previous owner�I'd NEVER plant vinca, ever). It is SO aggressive it has actually devoured the entire (sizable!) front and side garden beds, and has managed to move across the driveway to the other side of the garden!

I spent about eight hours hand-pulling, which gave me a 4x4 area vinca-free...but now (of course!) it's coming back. Again, this garden is sizable, so hand-pulling the entire thing would take two weeks of straight work at the very least.

We've sprayed with Weed-B-Gone Max (I'm not a fan of pesticides, but I hate invasives and my back can't handle all the pulling), but despite some wilting, this nasty thing is still going strong!

Anyone have suggestions? I'm at the point I don't care if I kill the various lilies, roses, Japanese maples, and everything else in this garden if we take out the stupid vinca. I can't plant anything else until it's gone, because of that doggone root system (and it's smothering the rose and even giving the Japanese Maple trouble as I type). Hubby was thinking RoundUp next; I was wondering about covering it with fabric or cardboard to block the light and try to smother it to death. The Weed Dragon is tempting, too, if only because setting this thing on fire would be deeply satisfying.

Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?