Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brit5467

How to kill this vine from Hell ????

brit5467
12 years ago

HOW DO YOU KILL THIS MONSTER ???

And what is it?

Not positive, but pretty sure boyfriend brought home from the woods a few years ago because it had flowers, but cannot be sure because I never let it get big enough to flower. It winds around everything. My big lilies, thru my bushes, up thru my porch (which is where the one in pic came from so it looks more scraggly than usual due to lackk of light).

Earlier in the month I sprayed some plants when they were still small with Spectracide but it had no effect, although it was not a hot sunny day. And since then, it's been too windy to spray.

HELP before it take over again !!!! Thanks, Bonnie

Comments (16)

• hortster
    12 years ago

Looks like one of the bindweeds, very deeply rooted plants. A number of products are labeled for control, but repetitive applications are always required. Unfortunately, strong enough products can also damage good plants, so in order to get the most absorbtion you may have to unwind it from your good plants and lay it on the ground before applying anything. I have had my best luck suppressing it by leaving the constantly emerging regrowth alone for a while (a month or so) and then applying a fall application (during September here). The theory is that the plant is storing food for the next season and takes the product as deeply into the root system as possible. The following season what reemerges is weakened because the most root possible was killed and is easier to control with follow up applications. If you try this method, remember never to let it go long enough to go to flower!
    Stuff is a pain.
    hortster

• hortster
    12 years ago

I also failed to mention that another vine, wild buckwheat, looks very similar but the method would be the same.
    hortster

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Hortster !! Well, whichever one it is, you're right...it sure IS a pain !! And you ain't kidding when you say it has a deep root system. Found out the hard way if you pull it up and it just breaks off, you end up with two more coming out. UGGGHHH!!!

Gonna copy something you said for clarification, ok? You said:

"I have had my best luck suppressing it by leaving the constantly emerging regrowth alone for a while (a month or so) and then applying a fall application (during September here)."

I fully understand what you're saying about treating it in fall to help kill for the next year.

But what exactly do you mean by "leaving it alone for a month or so"...??? No treatment, no pulling up, nothing?? What do I do after the month has passed?

And I'm scared to let it go even that long because right now it's not that bad yet and I can still get into my garden. The pic you saw was from under my porch but most of it's not any longer the a foot at the most. Mostly babies coming out of the ground. But in a week or so, I won't even be able to get in there to untangle it off my plants.

Appreciate any more advice you can offer.

Bonnie

• Joe1980
    12 years ago

Ya know, when my wife and I first bought our house, this stuff started popping up in spring, and I thought it was a vine that was planted, because the previous owners left a trellis right in that spot. So, unknowingly I let it go to town. Needless to say, after a short time, it climbed all over everything, and started to smother out a bunch of other bushes and plants. I ripped it all out, and to this day, 5 years later, little ones still try & pop up. I either dig them up or spray them with roundup, over & over. In the town I live in, being 1/2 mile from the Horicon Wildlife Refuge, it is actually an ordinance that you cannot let it go to flower, or you face a fine. The only tip I can give is to be persistant, and check up on the areas that you know it grows at least once a week, and destoy it as necessary.

Joe

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah ha!! So it DOES flower. Thought so, which means it IS vine BF brought home. And yeah, it's been about 5 years now for me, too, fighting this evil beast. Thanks for the info!

• hortster
    12 years ago

The idea of "leaving it alone for awhile" is to let it develop more leaf surface for greater absorption of the product applied. If all you have to treat are a few leaves, much less product gets to the root.
    hortster

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ahhh, I get it now. That just threw me cuz mine grow so rampantly that if I left them alone a month, I'd be in trouble. But I understand about the leaf surface. Will definitely get on that first calm day we have. Thanks Hortster!!

• Joe1980
    12 years ago

I feel the opposite, in that the longer you let it grow, the more strength it gains, via rapid root growth. I find it much more productive when I catch them small, versus finding a grown one. The point with glyphosate is to let it absorb into the roots. The less roots, the less glyphosate needed, but at the same time, I can understand the logic of letting it grow more leaves as well. I guess it's a horse a piece.

Joe

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah Joe...it's like a double-edged sword. Both opinions have merit. I certainly get Hortster's point.

But in my case, it's really hard to allow more leaf growth since they're all so close to my GOOD plants. It's already an entire procedure, with paper plate barriers, trying to lay the vine on the ground, etc. We've just had sooo much wind lately (as I''m sure you have) from all this crazy weather.

Last week,one of those tornadoes went thru here, too close for comfort. Even tonight, it's crazy wind out there from the devastation in AL & GA moving up this way (as I'm typing this). And the longer I wait to spray, the worse they get.

And BTW...thought I knew EVERY expression on this earth. But NEVER heard "a horse a piece"...so you gotta share that one with me...please? I mean, I know "six in one, half a dozen aonther" (which I'm guessing is similiar) and pride myself in knowing sayings like that. And I'm nearly 55, so by now I should know them all. So is it a WI thing or what??? ha ha ha.

Bonnie

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

Field Bindweed, aka Wild Morningglory, can be difficult to control once established, but the best way is to pull it up by the root making sure you get all of the root.

Here is a link that might be useful: controlling bindweed

• hortster
    12 years ago

Hey, Joe, like your "horse apiece." Gotta remember that one. What I have been relating is that my experience with the fall application knocked the bindweed way back. I have totally eliminated it in my garden area. Admittedly, the following season I stayed on it, spraying again every couple of weeks - but what came back in the spring was nothing compared to what I had in the previous fall. There's more than one way to skin a horse!
    hortster

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That was a great link, Kimmsr, altho not that encouraging...LOL. And Horster, around here, we skin cats (not really :)
    Bonnie

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now that I know the name of this, I found an old post that got 're-opened' and is at the top of the list now. It's simply titled "Bindweed" and Bry84 has a very interesting technique for actually killing this monster.

And it's so funny because thru out post, it's referred to as "vine from hell"...same thing I called it without ever seeing this post.

Check it out!!
    Bonnie

• hortster
    12 years ago

Bonnie, 'twas tongue in cheek, a play on Joe's comment. I neither skin cats NOR horses!
    hortster

• Joe1980
    12 years ago

Bonnie, you are correct, it is a midwestern thing. From my understanding, it originates in Milwaukee, WI, where I was born & raised, and have since moved out of the ghetto where I grew up. Anywho, it comes from the game of "bar dice", where when you get to the last 2 players, it's a best of 3 to decide the winner. When you lose, you're said to have "a horse on your back", so needless to say, when both players have lost a game each, and you get to that "winner takes all" third round, they say it's "a horse a piece". I have quite a few one liners :)

Joe

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Horster, I knew that :) Daddy just always said, "There's only one way to skin a CAT" so I was just being a smart-ass since you said 'horse'...ha ha ha

Joe -- Ah haaaa! That's a new one on me. Never heard of that game. Thanks for explaining. I remember so many one-liners from my Dad, God rest his soul, and they're always popping into my head. Like as a kid if I was being a smartie-pants or know-it-all, he'd say, "Boy oh boy...you're sharper than a mice turd."