Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed B Gone, etc, use around dogs.

Posted by gdcooper MI (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 30, 06 at 13:43

What is a general rule in regard to using a product like Weed B Gone for weed control in my yard in which my dog uses? My dog stays in the house, but does frequent the outdoors. Can I use ORTHO WEED B GONE and expect for my dog to remain safe when rolling in the grass, eating grass, etc? If so, after what period of time? The ORTHO instructions and FAQ are very lacking in this area.

Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed B Gone, etc, use around dogs.

• Posted by jayk 8b (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 30, 06 at 22:36

Exposure models and other relevant toxicology data are assessed when registering any pesticide, and the directions that end up on the label should be followed to keep people and pets from harm. Typically, once the product has thoroughly dried it is difficult to dislodge appreciable material from the surfaces. That is why most labels state to keep people and pets out of the application site until the spray material has dried completely.

o

I strongly urge you to do a little bit of googling on the active ingredient in Weed B Gone. The active ingredient is '2,4-D'. Use that exact chemical short-cut to obtain your information.

My only suggestion, after you do your research (on this or any chemical), is that you consider self and family members first....pets should come second!

Here is a link that might be useful: Just to get you started........

o

Sigh... alrighty, I was not looking for a sermon. I'll consider myself and/or my pets and family members in whatever order I wish. I simply wanted to know if the active poison in the product was enough to hurt my dog after I sprayed it on. My family typically does not roll playfully in the grass or chew on the grass when relaxing in the sun. Of course if they did, that would be their choice and additional considerations would have to follow.

It looks like dogs fed the chemical on a regular basis could die. My assumption would be that it is relatively safe for my dog, but since he does chew on grass, I might have to take a pass.

I would ask what a more safe removal chemical might be because doing our yard by hand is back breaking, but I think I'll go elsewhere.

Thanks!

o

Hold on there! I merely meant to gently remind you that you need to think in terms of avoiding casual contact for you and your family, not JUST your pets. We expose ourselves to such chemicals when we walk on the lawn, and bring it in the house on our shoes (for example). Animals and humans do NOT have to eat the stuff in order to be exposed.

You see....we are exposed to chemicals every single day. Each little assault sort of builds upon the other. Pets have a hard time of it since they may be bathed in chemicals, etc., and then trot around on a lawn where they can absorb toxins through their skin. Cancer and tumor rates in dogs and cats have skyrocketed in recent years.

2,4-D is one of the very very troublesome chemicals. Don't be misled. If one is exposed, chronically, to chemicals on a daily bases (which most of us are), that makes us more vulnerable to problems when confronted with one of the 'big guns'. Acute exposures are not what causes the problems....it's long term chronic interface.

So....don't go elsewhere for some good information. I'm here to educate not prosthelytize! Or judge. I'm not gonna stop doing that anytime soon, but I promise that I won't jump in on your post(s) again. Okay?

o

Cancer incidence in dogs has been on the increase, from what I've read. I've lost too many beloved dogs to cancer over the years, and it's heartbreaking.

I recently had two dogs with cancer -- one with skin cancer and one with mammary cancer. I took them to see my naturopath/herbalist friend and the first thing she asked me is "what did you put on your lawn?" My answer... Weed B Gon. I won't be using it again, much as I'd love to just squirt my dandelions away.

The fellow next door to me on one side has a gorgeous lawn... he has a service out to spray it periodically. He's also had cancer and fortunately after much stress, suffering and expense is in remission. Is there a connection? I don't know, but is taking that chance worth it?

Anyway, just thought I'd pop this back up to the top because it's that season again, and maybe the excellent advice given above will save a life, who knows?

o

Oceanna,

A veterinarian here. 2,4-D is quite toxic, but I wouldn't blame your animal's cancers on it. Mammary cancers and skin cancers are the top 2 cancers in dogs, so it is not surprising you saw these 2.

Mammary cancer in dogs is far more prevalent than breast cancer in humans. In dogs, the cause of mammary cancers is almost entirely hormonal. This can be highlighted by these amazing statistics: the incidence of mammary cancer in dogs is less than 0.5% for dogs spayed before their first heat cycle (little time for sex hormone development). For dogs spayed after their second heat cycle, or not spayed at all, the incidence shoots up to 25% + !!!

Said another way, if your dog is not spayed, or is spayed after the second heat cycle, her chance of getting mammary cancer is 1 in 4 in her lifetime!!!! Almost no chance of cancer is she is spayed before her first heat!!!!

As for the causes of skin cancer..... well, it depends on the type of skin cancer.

I'm not defending 2,4-D, just letting you know that the product probably had nothing to do with your dog's cancers.

Cheers.

o

When I used weed be gone I always warned all pet owners to keep their animals out of my yard until a good rain. One neighbor did not take it seriously and had to take her dog to the vet when all it's fur starting falling out. I tried only doing sections of yard at a time so that the whole area was not toxic at one time. I made sure to water it well after the 24 hour wait period. I was told that they will pick it up on their paws especially in the late evening or morning if there is a heavy dew..then they ingest it when they lick those paws.

o

I JUST FOUND VOMIT IN MY BACKYARD ALONG WITH A GALLON OF WEED B GONE WHAT SHOULD I DO

o

When you think it might be poison
an you don't know what to do-oo-ooo-o
Call 1.800.222.1222

Sorry, the Poison Control Jingle has been going in loops through my head. I thought I'd inflict it on someone else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here