Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identifying a weed I actually want to keep

Posted by tripleione 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 14:09

These little "weeds" are growing all around my yard. I don't recognize the foliage, but it grows kind of like a pea plant. It has little vines on the end that wrap around other plants and fencing to climb.

I would like to know what this plant is because the bees here seem to absolutely adore it. They always try to get pollen from the little purple flowers on this plant before any of the other flowers in the back yard (the front yard is a whole different story).

The plant itself is very easy to pull up from any place I don't want it to grow, so it is very manageable.

Thanks for any help!

This post was edited by tripleione on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 14:12

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identifying a weed I actually want to keep

I think this a picture of the leaves

o

This is a bunch of it that was kind of climbing up my gutter.

o

Looks like some type of vetch (Vicia sp.). Don't know where you are, but maybe spring vetch (V. lathyroides)?
hortster

o

I'm in the mountains of North Carolina

o

The USDA plants database shows that species present in NC. You might google and compare.
hortster

o

I don't think it's spring vetch. The flowers are similar but spring vetch (at least the one I have in my yard) doesn't vine. This reminds me of scurfy pea... not sure if that's native in NC.

Here is a link that might be useful: scurfy pea

o

I don't think it's that much more attractive pea plant. Whatever it is, it grows in our yard too. If left alone, it will make really hard seed pods that sound like tiny gravel when a patch of this is mowed. All you have to do to have more is nothing, let it make seeds.

o

Looks like Vicia sativa, Common Vetch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vicia sativa

o

I think you are right, flora. Thanks for all the responses, everyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here