Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mouse_moose

Goutweed.

mouse_moose
17 years ago

I recently bought a house. It's a lovely old place (1840s) with some nice landscaping and gardens. The plants were clearly planned and planted with love some time ago, but it looks like it has been several years since anyone cared.

One of the beds has a few "good" plants in it -- a tulip here, a strawberry (probably barren) there, and two clumps of peonies. The rest of it is covered with what I believe is goutweed. (I can take a picture of it tonight.)

Here's the evidence that leads me to believe it's goutweed.

(1) Triternate leaves. We just lost our snow last week, so the sprouts are still very small, but the first pairs of leaves have come up and they are dissected in the same way as goutweed.

(2) Rhizomatous. Each pair of leaves is sprouting from a sand-colored, purple-tinged segmented rhizome with pencil-like runner/roots. Until yesterday, I optimistically thought they might be more peonies, but they aren't as red as the real deal.

(3) Spreading/invasive. This plant has taken over the whole bed, and in fact extends 36" out beyond the edge of the bed into the yard.

(4) Causes a rash! Yesterday morning I went out to the garden to till the bed and pull weeds in preparation for setting my vegetables out and sowing seeds. I used a "garden claw" to turn the soil. I was having a grand old time of it, out there in my sandals. Sure, juicy bits of the rhizomes and leaves were flying everywhere, but I didn't care... until 12 hours later, when my feet and ankles showed a red, somewhat blistery rash. At a previous house, I ignorantly scythed goutweed, which resulted in the same rash -- photosensitized red dots of "sunburn" wherever the sap hit me. This rash is identical.

One thing that surprises me is how little mention there is of the goutweed rash. There are only a handful of mentions of it on the internet. Are most people unaffected by goutweed sap? Despite a continuing immunity to poison ivy (which I know this isn't), goutweed gets me.

So how to remove it? I prefer to go chem-free, but I'm planning to glyphosate the shoots, then till and hand-pull the rhizomes. Looks like it's going to be a scorched-earth policy. I know I'll miss some rhizomes, and they'll come back, but I need to at least clear out the bulk of this plant so I can get my vegetables in.

Ideas? Experiences? Thoughts on the photosensitizing sap? What does a goutweed rhizome look like -- any pics?

Comments (4)

• Kimmsr
    17 years ago

Goutweed, aka Bishops Weed and Snow on the Mountain, is an invasive plant species that is still being sold by many nurseries as a desireable plant, ground cover. I jave not seen anything in the literature to indicate that this plant can, or will cause a rash, however each of us is different and we react to plants in different way. I would look closely at what else is there though, in particular Poison Ivy which likes the same growing and soil conditions.
    If you choose to use a poison to control this read and follow the label directions very carefully before using it. Do not assume someone else knows how, even a "licensed" applicator.

• mouse_moose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the advice!

Well, I've spent a few more hours on each of the past 2 days preparing the beds. More cultivation with the garden claw, which did a nice job of loosening the soil and broke up some of the roots, then raking to collect the rhizomes and roots. This morning's task (as the rain began to fall) was hand-pulling the remaining rhizomes, plus lots of digging around bare-handed trying to find remaining rhizomes that were still buried under the tilled soil. I think I got most/all of the goutweed from the one-third of the patch that I've worked. At this pace, it will take another 20 hours or so to clear the rest of the bed, and it's just one of four!

I ended up not using the round-up yet. Perhaps I won't have to -- I'd rather not. I'll be careful if I do choose it.

I did plant a patch of onion sets this morning, and a row of peas. Hopefully they can get a good head start on the return of the goutweed!

• HU-745131556
    last year
    last modified: last year

I just had a very extreme reaction to goutweed… I deadheaded the flowers so i could stop the reseeding cycle, and eight hours later my right hand, wrist and forearm were under an attack akin to gout, swollen and horrific shooting pains. initially thought it might be a sprain or overuse of the hand clippers. my hand is so swollen i cannot bend my fingers in or use them… I suspect that i got sap from the cut stems as i was reaching among the plants to deadhead. THIS IS A DANGEROUS PLANT it may be edible by some people, but who would want to even chance eating it to see if one is indeed allergic. my variegated goutweed has stayed constrained since its planting in 1977 but a whole section of it went rogue, losing its variegation and growing supersize. the seedheads grow to 30 inches high and indeed has caused new babies in places where runners were not the cause….. three days of complete incapacity of my right hand and wrist and horrific pain that painkillers did not even touch are not worth any plant.

UPDATE: i have decided to eradicate it completely which will entail digging out all the soil, pulling out as much of the roots, runners and plants, spreading the soil on black plastic and leting the sun dry it out while i sift through to find even the tiniest of roots. Wait a week or two to see if anything sprouts again and then replant with something more constrained and not a threat to anyone allergic to it…. i intend to live here another thirty years and never want to see it again…. maybe it was called goutweed because in those severely allergic to it the reaction was akin to a case of gout itself, and homepathically a very dilute amount of it would perhaps treat gout…..

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

Some people get an allergic reaction from Aegopodium podagraria, but it is by no means universal. Indeed, it is an edible plant. Since it largely spreads by runners and roots removing seed heads will have little impact. You need to get the roots out.