Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knoxvillegardener

Environmentally responsible to kill all plants in an area?

knoxvillegardener
14 years ago

I am clearing out an area that has brush and various weeds in it. Previously, I was able to cut down a lot of the brush across a large swathe of the area, although in some places it was too dense and I ran out of time for it. With the arrival of spring, poison ivy has sprung up (it was there last fall as well) and I am quite allergic to the stuff, so direct removal is a no-go. Also, there are some spreading vines that are very tough to get rid of by hand, along with plenty of small plants that had been in dormancy and were small enough to get passed over as I cut down the brush.

What would really be great would be something to spray on the area in question that would kill the existing vegetation but not persist in the environment for very long as I would like to put in a garden in this area.

(Note that the garden will mostly be raised beds with soil brought in from elsewhere, so that will actually mitigate persistence issues a whole lot if getting something with low persistence is problematic.)

I'd also like to use something that won't be substantially detrimental effect to wildlife and aquatic life (via runoff into streams).

Fast results would be very good.

Can someone advise me as to what would be a good environmentally responsible herbicide that would meet my needs and where I can get it?

(BTW, in case anyone is thinking of this, neither burning not covering the area with sheeting to block out the sunlight and kill the plants is very appropriate to my situation for various reasons I won't list here.)

Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting