Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of weed/tree is this?

Posted by julianna_il z6 IL (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 2, 09 at 14:28

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/11/8/2179327/P1010076.JPG

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/11/8/2179327/P1010075.JPG

These are popping up everywhere. Many are two feet tall already, and don't seem particular about where they'll grow. Some under a pine tree (acid soil), others in normal soil, shade, sun, front, back.

I thought I found an ID at UofI weed ID site. Wild Licorice. But then I googled that and nothing like those pictures. I dug these babies up to sniff the roots. No licorice scent.

These are tiny ones...most are much bigger. Tree-ish or shrubbish stems. Hard enough that it would take scissors to snip them, at least the bigger stems.

I'm stumped!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of weed/tree is this?

Not a clue on the weed, but beautiful silver-gray cat!
Hortster

o

Awww, thanks! He's my big velvet teddy bear. He just *had* to sniff the plants.

o

It appears to me that it is one of the honeysuckles that has sent out a stem that rooted.

How big is your baby. I have had two cats with this color one regular size. The other would put his head down on my shoulder when I was sitting. Both just disappeared and never returned. They were very tender and did not extend their claws to me.

o

He's huge....close to 20 pounds. He started life as a feral, was rescued in Seattle and adopted to a lovely woman. She had breast cancer and was dying and feared her family would dump him in a shelter. So she turned to an internet cat lover group, and I adopted him. He came cross-country on the "pet bus," and has just thrived.

Strange thing...the day she died from breast cancer, he knew. I was getting out of the shower and he came in and just wept. I can't explain his meows other than weeping. I feared that's what it was, because he'd never cried like that, and I went to the Internet breast cancer group, and sure enough, she had passed a few hours before.

Really a bittersweet story.

o
Honeysuckle

Honeysuckle! Thank you...I'll google that, but I know it's invasive as heck. It's all over the place here...hadn't even thought of googling that because I had none.

I love honeysuckle, though. I may leave one or two.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here