Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spiky, Thorny Weed ID?

Posted by afbq 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 14:56

These little suckers are growing everywhere in my garden bed. I just pulled out 15 or so. As you can see, they are spiky and thorny. What are they?

Weeds spiky

This one that I pulled out.

Weeds spiky

THANK YOU!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spiky, Thorny Weed ID?

I suspect Canada thistle.

If so, dig them out rather than pull and break them off. If Canada thistle, you'll see they are connected by underground runners.

o

YIKES! I popped them out, sorta like dandelions. I did not see runners, but maybe that was deeper in the ground.

o

in these pictures they almost look like sow thistles. you'll be able to tell for yourself by the sharp spines. if it's a true thistle, those spines will always be sharp where as the sow thistle isnt that sharp to begin with, and they go limp shortly after picking it. If it's sow thistle, you've found yourself a fine salad green.

o

I'm fairly certain they stay sharp after I pull them. Last year I grabbed them a few days after pulling them and the spines went through my glove. Ouch!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here