Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrispumkin

Weed control in pumpkin patch

ChrisPumkin
11 years ago

Hello all- I need a little help. I am in North Texas and have been planting a 1/2 acre pumpkin patch for the last three years. Each year I plant about 250 seeds which yeild about 125 pumpkins. The weeds have been killing me all three years. Last year was worse than the others with Johnson grass getting 5 feet high and thistles filling in any space not occupied by pumpkin or Johnson grass. I till the plot about 6 inches deep with a roto tiller and then plow rows about 6 feet apart and plant the seeds on top of the rows. The plot is watered by sprinklers. I felt so defeated last year with the weeds that I thought about giving up- but I decided to make some changes and try one more year. Here is what I am planning: Start seeds indoors and hold off on getting them in the ground intil late June. This should give me that much more time to till and cover up any active weeds. I am also planning on adding pre-emergent to the soil, but since it has already been tilled I am not sure what my proceedure should be. By tilling dont I bury seeds just so they can come up again when I start watering?
I want to ask you guys if I sound like I'm on the right track. Is there anything else I can do?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus