Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eacollie

Identify weeds?

eacollie
16 years ago

Can anyone identify these weeds? I reseeded my lawn with fescue last fall and these are popping up everywhere. Is there a product I can use to get rid of them or do I have to manually weed? The first image is the first weed in the grass, the second and third are this weed up close, and the fourth image is another weed.

Thanks so much for any help!

{{gwi:1342265}}{{gwi:1342266}}
{{gwi:1342267}}{{gwi:1342268}}

Comments (6)

• jean001
    16 years ago

Lower right is mouseear chickweed. Pull it before it sets seed.

• eacollie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I was told that the first weed is crabgrass. Is there anything I can put on my fall-seeded fescue lawn to rid it of this? Also, I have been placing seed on some "bare" spots, so will this treatment be safe for newly seeded areas?

Thanks!

• maifleur01
    16 years ago

Number one looks too course for most crabgrass.

as to the newly seeded areas. No. Crabgrass killer is a preemergent sp and designed to kill grass as it emerges from soil. Therefore your newly seeded bare spots would die also.

Please, and I know I sound like I am shreeking, but please, please, read all label instructions before using. Save your health and the health of anyone downstream. Most chemicals can be used safely but you must know what you are doing. If you had looked on the net or on the container you would not have needed to ask your second question.

• eacollie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks maifleur.

It's pretty clear I fall in the category of not knowning what I'm doing; therefore, the post! I spent a lot of money to reseed last fall and I'm just frustrated that this "stuff" is popping up all over the lawn and no one seems to be able to identify it. I guess I'll just continue to pull it out where I find it.

Thanks again.

• soitgoes
    16 years ago

The problem with reseeding is that when you prepare soil perfectly for accepting grass seed, and water it every day, you are also creating a perfect environment for weed seeds to germinate. The blowing wind, passing birds, and moseying critters can all deposit weed seeds in your lawn, no matter how careful you are.

Last year we seeded as late in the fall as we thought possible to avoid crabgrass infestation; there is a lot of crabgrass in the area and we wanted to let the lawn establish before it had to compete.

Lo and behold, we had record-breaking warm temperatures in October and the crabgrass came up anyway. We put down corn gluten meal this spring (not sure if it works or not but it's worth a try) and we will see what happens this summer. I hate to use chemicals, but I guess it depends on how bad the problem is.

Without either using chemicals OR making your lawn your major hobby (or both) it is very difficult to maintain a weed-free lawn. :-(

• eacollie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks soitgoes!

I'll look into the corn gluten meal. My hands are getting tired picking this stuff!

Thanks again.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations