Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pottergirl_gw

Weed control

pottergirl
14 years ago

Looking for a weed control that will kill the weeds/grass in the bed without harming the perennials we have planted. Everyone I've looked into says not to use it with the bee balms or the chives.

Creeping Phlox

Agastache (bee balm)

Buddleia

Chives

Coreopsis

Echinacea purpurea

Achillea Paprika

Monarda (bee balm)

Rudbeckia Goldsturm

Comments (2)

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

The only things that might not harm your plants are mulch and pulling. I would suggest a thick layer of mulch and hand pulling the things that are not smothered. Any weed killer you would use would kill any broad leaf plant. There are a few grass killing chemicals but I would not guarantee that they would not harm other things.

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

A poison that could control broad leafed "weeds" would also kill every plant listed, unless extraordinary measures to protect those plants was taken. The only poisons that might control grasses will also kill everything else, unless extraordinary measures are taken to protect the plnats you want. In addition these poisons tend to be very expensive and I would rather spend the money I have buying new plants then I would on poisons to kill something.
    The best, and most effective, means of removing grasses from a planting bed is the dig it out, and if done correctly it will last the whole growing season. If someone needs to ge back every week or two to dig out more grass they did not do a proper job the first time. The best, and most effective, means of removing broad leafed "weeds" is to dig them out. If you have a good grden soil it will be loose and soft enough the those "weeds" should pull out easily. If the soil is hard and compacted and it is difficult to remove those "weeds" that soil needs work and that may be one reason why the "weeds" are growing there in the first place.
    Once the "weeds" and unwanted grass is removed then mulches can aid in control and good barriers between where the grass grows and the planting bed will stop the grass from growing back into the bed.