Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed or flower?

Posted by WildHeart06 6b (Connecticut) (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 17:30

We have a large yard with lots of misc. growth. Just moved in and trying to "beautify" things. I'm guessing this is a weed since we have LOTS of them growing, but just wanted to make sure before getting rid of them. Can anyone identify this?

The flower is white and droopy, with four leaves and yellow in the middle. At the base are purplish leaves. The one I picked is about a foot high.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed or flower?

Another look...

o

And a picture of the bottom leaves...

o

Perhaps bittercress or a near relative.

In any case, pull & discard NOW before those elongated seed pods fling their seeds in all directions.

o

They are annuals and will die soon. But they fling out thousands of seeds and those seeds will start sprouting next fall and grow through the winter. Then next spring you will see them again....

o

Whether these are "weeds" or flowers depends on your perspective. If they are a plant that you do not want growing where you do not want it to grow then it is a "weed". In another place and with another gardener these might be considered flowers.

o

I think that one is Wintercress, a taller relative of the also P-I-A- Bittercress.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here