Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed Be Gone Max and Trees

Posted by missymar (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 19, 09 at 18:14

I feel so bad! Last spring, I planted a 4 ft. tall Japanese Red Maple in my front yard, and the leaves came in so beautiful, red, & full this spring. But being the big dummy, non-green thumb having person that I am, sprayed some Ortho Weed Be Gone Max in the area that surrounds the base of the Maple last weekend. The next day, a lot of the leaves, especially on the bottom were darkened & curled in. The whole tree looks a bit droopy now and the curled in leaves haven't begun to 'bounce back'.... Did I kill my tree or is it just in a temporary shock stage? It's been 8 days...... :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed Be Gone Max and Trees

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 19, 09 at 18:29

Only time will tell.

Think this is one of the live-and-learn lessons of gardening.

o

Update: Don't use Weed Be Gone Max around any plants, bushes or ornamental trees. My Red Maple survived, tho' some of the leaves on the bottom died, the tree is still alive. 2yr. old boxwoods - dead, 1 yr. old azaleas - dead, flowers that were planted ~ the timeframe of the Ortho. Max usage - dead. I live & I learn!

o

Maples are shallow rooted. Wind drift can toast leaves that receive just a small amount of product. Use mulch, not product. SPOT treat weeds if you must for control. Less is more.
hortster

o

I may have made the same mistake, but worse.

I just sprayed WBG on what I thought was a rather large weed coming out of the base of the trunk of our tree, only to discover that it is a a young branch with fresh leaves.

The tree is well-established and stands about 10ft. I can't tell you what kind it is, only that it's at least 20yr.s old and stands strong.

Have I started a slow death for this tree, or is there something I can do to prevent any damage?

Thank you...

o

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Sat, May 22, 10 at 16:24

I would cut the branch off as low as possible or as flush to the branch collar as possible, ASAP, to (again, as much as possible) prevent the product from entering the rest of the tree.
hortster

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here