Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
finchelover

Henbet

finchelover
15 years ago

How do you get rid of this invasive weed in your flower beds. I really don't want to spray and if I lay down paper and mulch will my plants come up. I still have poppies to come up in that area

Comments (4)

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

I have found that Henbit grows in cool, moist, poor soils around here. It seems to flourish best in the pea gravel where there is little soil to root in. Covering your soil, where other plants are with paper and a mulch can prevent this from growing but that may also keep the other plants from growing. Since this germnates in early spring the best thing is to pull the wee plants, as soon as you see them, when the soil is moist.

• hortster
    15 years ago

If you elect to hand pull it (in lieu of using a pre-emergent herbicide in the fall) you need to 1) get it before it blooms in spring and 2) get it all! If you are seeing purple it is too late and seed is probably spreading already!
    Chuck

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

I found some yesterday that already has flowers on it and they will be developing seeds if the pollintors are out and about. This means that I need to get out there today and clean that area up.

• mark04
    15 years ago

I have some wild fescue in my newly sodded back yard.Anything to help ,with killing of this weedy grass?I dont want to kill the bermuda.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting