Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prman

Invasive Lawn Weed -- What is it?

prman
12 years ago

This weed invades the lawn in early spring. Growing about 6 to 8 inches tall, the plant "pops out" copious seeds, one or two feet from the plant, when disturbed by wind or other outside movement. Thus next season's growth is set once released. Typical weed control chemicals like Spectracide and Weed-B-Gon don't seem to have any effect. Does anyone know the name of this noxious weed and possibly any post-emergent control, other than mowing them down before they set seed? Here are two photos.

Image link:

Comments (7)

• jean001a
    12 years ago

called popweed. genus name is Cardamine.

• prman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Jean for pointing my nose in the right direction. I have followed up, and found that the popweed is generally called bittercress (Cardamine hirsuta), and needs to be controlled by pre-emergence treatments, such as those for crabgrass. Especially effective are Snapshot and Dimension, both made by Dow AgroSciences.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bittercress description by Oregon State University

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Easy to pull, if you have a reasonable amount.

At the stage you show, the seeds will still mature in spite of any herbicide you apply. This is hand-to-weed combat!

• kimpa zone 9b N. Florida.
    12 years ago

In your area, this weed probably grows mostly in fall and overwinters to then set seed in spring. If you want to use a broadleaf weed killer, the best time is in fall to kill the ones that have sprouted and other weeds too. My friend who is our county extension agent told me this and that pre/post emergents are not that effective in fall.

Proper lawn care can help greatly with weed control. Mowing high, fertilizing in May and September (for my PA area, zone 6b), and proper PH will help the lawn become stronger and outcompete weeds.

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

The natural environment of this Bittercress seems to be in flood plains and along rivers and streams indicating it may well need a fairly moist soil to grow in, although it has adapted to grow in dryer soils.
    I see this growing in lawns that are watered every day but seldom find it in lawns that are watered once a week, which helps point to the flood plain, river, stream areas described by some. You find the same thing with Yellow Nutsedge, it grows in lawns watered daily but seldom in lawns watered once a week. The attached link may provide some help with control.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Bittercress

12 years ago

In your area, this weed probably grows mostly in fall and overwinters to then set seed in spring. If you want to use a broadleaf weed killer, the best time is in fall to kill the ones that have sprouted and other weeds too. My friend who is our county extension agent told me this and that pre/post emergents are not that effective in fall.

Proper lawn care can help greatly with weed control. Mowing high, fertilizing in May and September (for my PA area, zone 6b), and proper PH will help the lawn become stronger and outcompete weeds.

12 years ago

Oops, I posted a second time in error.

I never water my lawn and have lots of Bittercress. We advise homeowners not to water their lawns as rainfall is usually sufficient. I do see the Nutsedge in the low parts of the bed next to my property where my neighbor waters too much!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting