Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed with a HUGE tap root!

Posted by takadi 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 20:06

I am seeing these things grow all over my yard. They like to grow in really fertile areas, like where my roses and vegetable garden is. They have very large leaves tapering off a single red thick stem. The stem is flexible and fleshy. They are a pain to pull out because they grow an enormous thick tap root, like a white carrot of some sort. These things grow extremely fast too. I'm wondering what these things are and where they come from.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed with a HUGE tap root!

There are many plants with "huge" leaves and a largish carrot like tap root and most all of them come into your garden via a seed that is either delivered by a bird flying over or possibly by the wind.

o

Its probably burdock. If it has sort of fuzzy large leaves, that's most likely what it is. I have burdock everywhere, it is a pain, but it has many medicinal purposes as well as the stalks and the root being edible and very good for you. They sell that big nasty root in health food stores!

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, May 5, 10 at 14:48

Can you post pictures please?

o

ahh unfortunately I threw all of them away, so I'll probably have to wait for another opportunity to take a photo. I think it may be pokeweed. Their leaves kind of look like really large avocado leaves and they are relatively easy to pull out of soft soil.

o

Sounds like common dock weed. Does it look like the pic on the bottom left of this page?:

Here is a link that might be useful: Dock weed

o

I have pokeweed in my yard, it grows worse than dandelions.
Here's an internet picture of it:

The little sprouts had me confused as to whether they were red chard or not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here