Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What IS this and how do I KILL it?!

Posted by Fifthelement111 Northwest Indiana (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 20:18

What kind of weed is this? I have googled and googled my life away. They literally start out as thin tiny branch like stems then shoot up to 4+ feet. They are so hard to pull out, I can stand there all day tugging and can't get them out. The roots seem cemented into the ground and it's just very aggravating. I only seem them on the east side of my property which is the front of my house and they sure are an eyesore. HELP!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What IS this and how do I KILL it?!

oops, no picture

o

1st pic

o

2nd pic

o

sorry, still missing

o

uh,oh. It was my laptop that had the problem. All your images are visible.

Likely they are shoots from the roots of a tree or shrub. what is growing nearby, at your place or on the other side of the fence?

o

There are a few burning bushes, but the rest are perennial flowers, no trees or shrubs around. It only seems to pop up in this part of our yard which is really really confusing and soooo annoying

o

Dig down around them and see if there is an old tree stump. Or if you have broken them off before you may see the shoots coming out of their own individual stumps.

If you can't dig them out, you can cut them off near the ground and paint on some full strength concentrate of brush killer on the cut end of the stumps.

Just make sure they are not coming out from a main plant that you don"t want to kill.

o

Numerous trees produce seeds that can germinate and grow so what you have growing there is a tree os some kind. Some can tell by looking at what you have while most of us can't. If this is something you do not want growing where you do not want it, dig it out. Some trees, even at that size, will grow back from the roots if you simply cut the top growth.

o

Ever see a bloom or a berry? They sort of look like the Nightshade Vine (Solanum dulcamara). Heart-shaped leaves, red berry that the birds eat and then spread the plant.

o

Thank you ALL! So far nothing has ever bloomed from these sticks. They appear on both sides of my flower bed, one on each side of my front steps and porch area. if it's one tree or was at one time a tree, I'm not sure where to dig as they are on both sides in a variety of locations. We have a lot of tulips, irises, etc and these trees (if you will) are coming up so dense that I can't hardly see anything else. I WILL be working diligently to get rid of them

o

They resemble Rose of Sharon saplings/young plants. but those are usually pretty easy to pull up. Can you dig them up with a spade or pitchfork?

o

Could be rose of Sharon, as lisanti says. If they have been cut and cut over a couple of years, the root gets to look like a big carrot even if the shoots are tiny.

o

How long have you lived there? It looks like a bunch of baby trees to me, 2nd or 3rd year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here