Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
eco-weeder punto - burn those dandelions

Posted by lingon 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 20:34

Has anyone tried the ECO-WEEDER Punto or any similar method? It's a spike that heats up and supposedly burns out the taproots of dandelions. It costs $250.
I'm concerned that it doesn't go deep enough - I can easily get the first 2 inches of root, the issue is the 8 inches.

(I know I should just be happy with dandelions, but I feel too much neighbor pressure)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: eco-weeder punto - burn those dandelions

I'd spend my money on something else. All you have to do is remove the crown of the dandelion, which is just at and slightly below the surface.

I will frequently remove them with my pocket knife, just slicing them off about 1/2 to 1 inch below the surface and they don't regrow. A garden hoe also works well since you don't have to get very deep, just below the surface. The rest of the root will die and rot.

o

Using a flame, produced by some kind of gas, for "weed" control is not a good use of a non renewable resource. Using anything to kill "weeds" without correcting the soil conditions that allow those "weeds" to grow is simply treating the symptoms of a problem, the soil, rather than fixing the problem.

o

How about a trenching shovel?

http://www.amazon.com/Trenching-Shovel-3-Inch-Blade/dp/B0007LROG0/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1273595332&sr=8-15

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here