Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nutsedge Pics from Florida

Posted by budbackeast FLORIDA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 20:42

Here are two pictures of but one of the nutsedge varieties found in Florida. Not sure just which variety this is, but it has these thick, strong underground traveling root networks. The ones here had been hit with RoundUp once per month for the past six months. As you can see, it did not really kill them after all.

This is how I am dealing with this menace. I am digging down to 18 inch depths and beyond, but I am getting the beasties out, root, nut and all. Thank goodness that I have sandy soil, for if this were real dirt, the work would kill me.

Some poisons kill some varieties, but anything strong enough to eliminate nutsedge will be strong enough to kill everything else.The only cure I know is called digging. You either kill all living things with herbicides or you kill your back from digging. For now, I dig. For now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nutsedge Pics from Florida

New Pic. This is the area now being transformed from a nutsedge disaster to a healthy mono-species lawn.

The area to the left is mostly St. Augustine grass, with manageable weed problems. By late summer, all of the coming plugs will merge into a superior lawn. With the next door yard mostly poisoned down already, the nice grass will crawl over and fill in the yard in one summer. I'll provide the necessary water. St. Augustine grass is a water hog.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here