Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get rid of Star of Bethlehem????

Posted by lilcj823 z6 Ks (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 19, 05 at 22:03

We moved into our house a year ago and this spring we have this Star of Bethlem all over our yard, what is the best way to get rid of this stuff, it is pretty but I read that it is poisinous! We have a one year old that loves to put everything in his mouth!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get rid of Star of Bethlehem????

Star of Bethlehem is poisonous???
I have been digging lots of them out of my yard,
potting them, and have them for sale
for a dollar a pot.
They didn't seem to mind the transplanting
at all and are blooming very cheerfully
in their pots.

o

From what I read on the internet, if consumed it can be, but a lot of people plant it, it has taken over my yard, way to much to dig up, I need to know what is the best thing to use to get rid of it.

o

Ornithogalum umbellatum toxicity

And from this site -

"Unfortunately, we do not have a good chemical control for Star-of-Bethlehem. A study out of North Carolina compared all common weed control materials. Trimec, a commonly recommended product, gave less that 15% control. The best products were Coolpower (31.3%) and Turflon Ester (23.8%). Coolpower is a commercial only product but Turflon Ester is available to both commercial and homeowner users."

Brenda

o

I don't think it's poisonous because from what I've been reading a lot of people ate it, and still do in some parts of the world.
The website linked below says "The Star of Bethlehem is a bulbous plant nearly allied to the Onion and Garlic."

I too have these in my yard, but not many. I was just going to mow them down with my weed wacker, but my mom said she wants them for her yard. I tried to dig up one, but only got to the white part of the stem. How deep is the bulb usually?

They're cute, and I like that they close up until the sun hits them. But I didn't plant them, so therefore they are a weed!

Here is a link that might be useful: Star of Bethlehem

o

Is there any method of getting rid of this pest.It has crowded out most of my flower patch? Thank you

o

They are quite deep now, several inches. Later in summer, August, they are only an inch or so down, so easier to dig up later. Go figure.....

o

This blog was one of the first things I read at the beginning of the year before my quest to eradicate these weeds from my newly purchased foreclosure. Star of Bethlehem or truly SOBs were everywhere in my flowerbeds and they made up my lawn in the front yard. It has been a long journey and it is by no means over, but this is what I have learned so far.

Scotts website says to physically remove the bulbs. Virginia Tech found Quicksilver, a commercial formulation of carfentrazone at the rate of 4 fl. oz per acre killed 96% a month after one treatment. Purdue University found Paraquat provided control in the 90% range one month after treatment and 70 to 78% at the one year mark. 2,4D and Roundup had less than 29% control at 1 year. Remember to use dish soap or spreader sticker to improve results.

I personally tried original Roundup, Spectracide Weed Stop, and something industrial from a neighbor. I applied two applications of each product one week apart. Each product was tested with and without the addition of 2 tbs/gal disk soap in different areas of my yard. The Spectracide was the only one with visible results; the tips of the vegetation died. Over the long term the Roundup did slow the growth of the vegetation.

I tried sifting shovels of dirt through 1/4" hardware cloth. Only about half of the bulbs were filtered as the smaller ones easily fit through. Some of the larger bulbs that were mashed through the mesh still continued to grow. I then tried baking some of the sifted dirt in aluminum disposable turkey treys at 300F for 30 minutes. The dirt was about 4" deep. This baking did kill the bulbs.

I also tried covering flower beds in layered newspaper. The idea is to shade out the weed so it expends all of it's energy. I learned quickly that the thickness of the newspaper should be more than 1/8" thick. I'd say the more the better. And definitely add a couple inches of mulch on top to keep it hidden and from blowing away. My dogs walking on it caused it to rip and the edges near the sidewalk had a tendency to flip back exposing the SOBs.

The better way to go for shading out flower beds is carpet scraps. They let water through, don't need extra weight, don't tear or move, and keep the light out. Keep them down for two springs in a row then move them to the next spot. A neighbor and myself have had success with carpet squares.

The big test is the front yard. To shade it out I have covered the entire thing in 3mil black plastic, using stones to hold it in place. I put it down in early spring when the SOBs were 2 to 3" and when I pulled it back in April, they had become 8 to 12" yellow spaghetti. By our Cinco de Mayo party there was no vegetation under the plastic, just mounds of white bulbs and dirt. I intend to keep the yard covered until we seed grass in late summer to prevent other weeds from gaining a foothold. I've cut Xs in rows for planting tomatoes and other veggies in the mean time. I'm most interested in the shading out process and will post again in a year to let you know the long term effects.

I've read some areas that get consistently hotter temps can cover their yards in clear plastic to have an extreme greenhouse effect killing weeds in the top few inches of soil. It's too cold for that here, but take caution in tilling after treatment. Tilling in general should be avoided as it spreads the bulbs. Remember one bulb can have 7 bulblets every year!

Pulling these SOBs can seem impossible, but get the soil wet and use a weed fork to loosen all around the clump. Get deep like 6" or so and pry up from the bottom while gripping the vegetation with your other hand.

My final two thoughts are 1) Good Luck and 2) don't let these little weeds haunt you like they obviously have me.

o

I hate these things. The smallest particle of bulb will go on to bloom the next spring, and it seems that the bulbs move deeper every year. I also sifted garden soil by the cubic yard, to no avail. Now I just try to keep them from blooming,tear off all leaves, and dig up the ones I can get at. They really are SOBs.
I can't believe that nurseries/on-line stores are still selling these things; it's like selling kudzu.

o

I fought this pest for years, only to see it keep spreading. I used just about every commercial weed killer out there, only to see them come back in a week or two.
If these plants aren't illegal,they should be. More on a happy note though is that I think I have found a way to eradicate them. I bought a propane weed burner and attached it to a tank mounted on a dolly and secured by a bunge cord. Each plant was wilted after a couple of seconds of heat. It's been 2 months and they haven't come back.

o

After years of fighting this obnoxious weed, I bought a propane weed burner. Just before they flowered, I burned them until they wilted. I had a few of them try to come back and those I burned a second time. So far, they haven't come back. If they reappear next year, I'll burn them again. I'll post the results next year in June.

o

Star of Bethlehem is a bulb and you must dig them out to rid yourself of this plant.....
Burning the leaves will only kill the top growth and they will be back next year......but burning the leaves each year will eventually starve the bulb and you will finally get rid of it...BUT, it will take a few seasons to do so......

o

I'm not sure which is more environmentally unsound, using a non renewable resource (propane) to burn a plant or spraying any of the mentioned plant poisons.
Most everyone that should know says to dig the bulbs since not even the glypohosates are all that effective at killing them.

o

I'm afraid that you've got to just dig the bulbs up. Whatever you do, don't let the flowers go to seed!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here