Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teallgardener

Weed & Feed headache

TeallGardener
9 years ago

This is my first year really getting into gardening.
Our yard over the past year or two has been really taken over by dandelions.
I went to Walmart and asked the garden associate (the one that was bringing their plants in not a Walmart employee) and they directed me to Expert Gardener Weed & Feed Spray (attaches to hose).
I told them I have kids and two pugs and they said it was totally safe to use and idiot proof.
Well I just applied it and now I am freaking out a little. I feel like I may have over applied in some areas and now I am afraid to let my dogs and kids out in the yard. I have a 2 year old and 1 year old twins and they basically live outside.
It said it was a 15-0-0, not really sure what that means.
I was feeling anxious about our yard being more yellow than green and sticking out on our street and now I feel like I am either going to burn up my yard or make my family sick!
He told me it was the same stuff they use at parks and that the trucks and lawn services that go around use and it is perfectly safe.
Can someone shed some light on when I can let my animals on the grass or my kids and if double going over an area is going to totally kill my yard?
It is much harder than it looks to get an even spray!
And I ended up covered in the crap and felt like I needed a shower out of the movie Silkwood!
I know now to not use Weed and Feed - too good to be true!

Comments (7)

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Just in general, for products you might use in the future, they have the active ingredients on the package which you can then look up on the internet, no need to entrust your family's health to a random store associate.

Below is a site that has info on some products:

Here is a link that might be useful: MSDS

• JasonFromWNY
    9 years ago

15-0-0 is the fertilizer analysis. You will see 3 numbers in that format on most every fertilizer that exists. The first number is the percent of product by weight that is Nitrogen, the second number is Phosphorous and the third Potassium (sometimes called Potash). For lawn fertilizer all you need is Nitrogen.

Phosphorous has a potential to leach into water sources and contaminate streams, so it should only be used when you actually need it to get results. Potash isn't bad for anything, but it also doesn't do your lawn much good, and over-applying encourages dandelions.

As to Weed and Feed, it contains some Nitrogen, which will make your grass grow in thicker and greener, and also 2-4D. 2-4D is one of the most common herbicides in the world, it specializes in exterminating broadleaf weeds (dandelions, clovers, etc.) without harming grasses. Applied even close to to directions, it should remove most lawn weeds without harming your grass. Be careful when you get close to any flower beds or vegetable gardens though, it has a potential for going a little past where you were aiming, and some species of plants (especially vines and melons) respond VERY poorly to 2-4D.

I wouldn't call it 'totally safe' for people, but as herbicides go it's pretty safe. Give it time enough to dry on and soak in, then you're fine.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Some people think plant poisons such as those containing 2,4,D, Dicambra, and the others are not much of a problem while others think they are too dangerous to use. The Province of Ontario has banned the use of them for a reason.

Here is a link that might be useful: Problems with 2,4,D

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Well, the only thing wrong with dandelions in the grass is if the sight of them truly bothers you, or just that someone said they're not supposed to be there. Someone who doesn't want to come to your yard and pull them out, but make a profit off of telling you they shouldn't be there, then offering a product that kills them.

• bonserdw
    6 years ago

I just applied the EG liquid weed and feed. How long should it be before I see results?

• kimmq
    6 years ago

What results are you looking for? The plant poison part of that weed and feed should start showing dead plants in about a week while the feed part may start to show up in a couple of days with a greener turf, depending on temperature, rain and other environmental factors.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio