Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyinnyc

Weed from h#ll and how to best kill it

andyinnyc
10 years ago

This weed has long horizontal roots and throw up spurs which form a climbing weed. If pulled, only the vertical spur breaks off.

Two of my raised beds have this growing in it and I have been unable to get ahead - the roots travel horizontally over several feet and go several feet down.

I'm about to douse the whole bed in Round-Up, but I don't think even that will be completely effective.

Andrew

Comments (6)

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

That looks like it might be Nightshade, a noxious "weed" from the same family as the Tomato, Pepper, Eggplant, that seeds readily and will grow from any bit of root left behind. These plants are quite resistant to herbicides, "weed" killers, so the best means of control is digging them out being sure to get all of the root

Here is a link that might be useful: About Nightshade

• lisanti07028
    10 years ago

could you post a clearer picture of the leaves? To me, it looks like bindweed, right down to the white root. I've had several nightshades to deal with, and they didn't have that long white root thing going on.

• jeanne
    10 years ago

Japanese Knotweed? And another request for a clearer picture.

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Looks like Bindweed to me too. Calystegia sepium. You need to follow the roots as far as you can and remove them. As you have discovered they break off if you just pull so you need to dig them out. Every piece you leave will resprout. Or you could try the trick of bundling the stems together and immersing in a pot of Roundup. But I've only ever fought it via digging.

• andyinnyc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, Round Up had little effect two weeks ago. I just spent two days digging the buggers out. Long, long roots on those weeds. Let's see how long it takes for them to grow back.

And boy, am I sore.

Andrew

• lisanti07028
    10 years ago

Just keep pulling up the growth that shows up (and it will, sadly), and you will eventually exhaust the mother root (or whatever it's called) and the little (*&&%^$F@ will stop showing up.