Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boodog_gw

NOT fern leaf bleeding heart!

boodog
11 years ago

I just wanted to warn everyone out there to a huge problem I just realized in my garden. I bought and planted poison Hemlock in my garden.

Last year I purchased several "fern leaf bleeding hearts" in tuber form from Walmart, I think they were 3 tubers a bag. I started these in pots prior to spring planting and was very pleased with how quickly these grew. I planted them in June and while I noticed how incredibly tough they were (construction around them), otherwise paid them little attention.

This year however they took off like gangbusters. To the point that they are now 5ft tall.

Well obviously NO bleeding heart is 5 ft tall and I cut one of them down and started doing some research. What I came up with is poison Hemlock.

There is no way the plant was a weed, I have a huge stand of them where I spaced out my "bleeding hearts" to grow into. This is a brand new as of last year shade bed that was filled with compost 1 foot deep over mature oak roots- nothing but sparse grass was there before.

So to all with big "bleeding hearts" beware!!!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County