Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preventing Weeds from Neighbour

Posted by mudgod none (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 1:52

I have neighbours on both sides that have a lot of weeds (creeping charlie, violets, chickweeds etc). These have over time invaded my yard.

I want to prevent that in the future. The solution I've come up with is to put in some kind of edging (the metal kind sold at home depot etc)and erect a wood fence touching the ground or metal edging. After that kill and reseed the yard.

Is this the best way to go about it, are there better ways to prevent incursion from neighbouring yards?

Also this is the side and back yard. The sidewalk has grass that extends past the neighbours and builds up the same problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Image link: Preventing Weeds from Neighbour (58 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preventing Weeds from Neighbour

In spite of the fence, and the do-over, you'll likely need to repeat the do-over every several years.

Violets fling their seeds to 8 or more feet away from parent plant.
Stuff blows in.
Birds drop stuff.
People and animals trek in stuff.

No way possible to have a pristine lawn.

Selective weed-killers are available to kill all weeds you've mentioned because they are broadleaved plants. Grass is a narrowleaf plant

Or start over, then remain vigilant for the few as they appear.

o

Agreed. Upon further investigation, I think you'll find that it's not good (rot) for a wood fence to touch the ground. A barrier that extends from below the surface up beyond the bottom of the fence would be easier to maintain and the fence should last longer.

Well I just looked at your pic to see what specific observations could be made and realize it's not a flower bed you're trying to protect. You don't have to subscribe to the "a lawn is one type of grass with nothing else growing in it" idea unless you want to. Good luck either way!

o

Those seeds from those unwanted plants will be brought in to you yard from places far beyond you next door neighbors and will land and germinate in your yard.
You can spend a lot of money, time, and energy "getting rid" of those unwanted plants, poisoning the world you live in while doing that, or work at growing a good, healthy turf that can aid in preventing these "weeds" from growing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here