Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_minnamouse

Weed vs brush

ms_minnamouse
10 years ago

It seems that "weed killer" is usually composed of Glyphosate and brush killer is usually composed of a different chemical(s).

So is brush killer stronger than weed killer? Can I just use that instead of buying a bottle of weed killer and a bottle of brush killer?

And when you use vinegar to kill weeds, can you use it plain or does it only work when you add salt and soap to it?

Comments (7)

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

The glyphosates are plant killers that will kill any plant it contacts, kind of. There are several different "weed" killers out there for the various types of "weeds" and which of these poisons to use depends on what you want to kill. Glyphosates are one of the most common brush killers today, although there are also several different poisons used for these also.
    Vinegar, sprayed onto a plant when the sun is brightest, will kill the top growth of about any plant I have tried it on with out needing salt or soap.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Minna, I'd avoid using herbicides until you understand a little bit more about them. The usual brush killer-type of herbicide is very poisonous and can also be very long lasting in the soil. Very long lasting.

As far as the other herbicides go, choosing the right one depends upon the kind of weed and where it is. As with all chemicals, you need to choose the right one for your particular need....it's not a one kind fits all.

Perhaps if you explained a little bit about your situation, some helpful suggestions might be able to be made.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Salting the ground is... historically bad, devastating, depending on the degree of it. Insecticidal soap and dish soap are not the same thing. Totally agree with Rhizo, there's not just one way to "kill weeds." I would be happy to help you with a specific problem also if it relates to something I have experience doing.

• ms_minnamouse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know insecticidal soap isn't the same thing as dish soap... Particularly since the vinegar recipe calls for DISH soap and insecticidal soap is specified for INSECTS.

Rhizo and purple, you're never going to win anyone over to your organic views with your aggressive and insulting campaign. All you succeed in doing is making people dig in their heels deeper.

Insisting that everyone else is ignorant because they use *gasp* chemicals will just make them use more. Everyone else, thanks for your replies. As far as I'm concerned, this topic is closed and Rhizo and purple can rant to each other.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

MsMinnamouse, one could search and find many instances in which I've recommended chemicals to people so your accusation that I'm on some type of campaign is blatantly innacurate. I'm sure you and I are not well enough acquainted for you to know my view on anything. If you would like to know what my thoughts are, please ask, do not assume.

Salt, soap, vinegar are all considered organic methods, so it would be perfectly logical to assume that someone asking about them may have an interest in killing some weeds without store-bought chemicals.

I apologize that you found my offer to help aggressive or insulting. If you don't mind that salt will ruin the ground for anything to grow there, that's fine, but I think it's handy info to have. If you'd like a pile of suds in your yard when it rains, that's fine, I don't.

"Insisting that everyone else is ignorant because they use *gasp* chemicals will just make them use more." I'm not sure where this came from, but it wasn't me or Rhizo. I don't think that and didn't say that. Get a grip on reality, please. My offer to help is still open because I don't have weeds and you do.

• hortster
    10 years ago

"So is brush killer stronger than weed killer? Can I just use that instead of buying a bottle of weed killer and a bottle of brush killer?"

Geez, guys, answer the question. Brush killer is often comprised of things MUCH meaner than glyphosate, like picloram and other high residual, phytotoxic products. If the product has only glyphosate it will kill many plants but will not affect plants via soil penetration like those brush killers with high residual, which can hurt large, established plants.

hortster

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Minna, my comments were based on my assumption that you know next to nothing about herbicides. Your original post makes that pretty clear. You're not alone, herbicides are very complex and little understood. Because of that, they are frequently misused and abused by people like you.

Your inexplicable rant is absurd. I am very knowledgable about the use of chemical herbicides and make recommendations in this forum frequently. However, to select the right product, one needs to know the kind of plant and the surrounding vegetation.

I am happy to make suggestions to those who seem willing to read and follow directions and seem to have been blessed with some common sense. I don't think you qualify on any count. I won't waste my time with you again....I keep getting suckered in by your numerous plant issues....but never again. /:-(

Thank you, hortster....I was trying to be 'gracious ' in my approach to the original question. Clearly, mine was the wrong path.