Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseoops

Getting Rid of Poison Ivy

roseoops
15 years ago

for several years I have had a patch of PI in my yard. Every year I spray with brush killer, and it dies. The next year it's back. How do I rid my yard of this for good? At some point I would like to plant in this area. At this point I have killed every thing that grows there. Help!!!!

Rose

Comments (8)

• bob64
    15 years ago

I have seen this same type of plea for help with poison ivy many times in several forums. I don't know if you can completely eradicate it but you can knock it back a bit. I usually see the berries (which have the seeds) on vertically climbing parts of the vine so you could cut it where it is climbing to reduce seed production. It is harder if there is any nearby that creeps back into your yard from the outside. Birds also poop the seeds wherever. If you are feeling brave you can suit up appropriately and pull it up but I really don't reccommend it.

• roseoops
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm not brave enough to to pull it up. About a year ago in the dead of winter I tough something out back, and got a bad case of PI on the side of my face. One time I was weed whacking on that side of the yard, not knowing that PI was there, need I say more!!! I'm on an acre. One side of the yard is all trees with a wooded area in the back. It is along the side with the trees that the patch of PI is located. What if I lay newspapers and grass clipping etc over the area after the PI dies back ??

Rose

• bob64
    15 years ago

It'll help but I doubt it will eradicate it.

• m_lorne
    15 years ago

Poison ivy actually spreads via an underground vine. Until you can isolate the area, it is usually going to resurface. It is unfortunately one of the worst things to get rid of. The vine does not go very deep, so you could try digging a trench around the main part of the plant and then treating that area. Either way, it's going to be messy...

• roseoops
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What if I just dig a trench where the PI patch is a spray a bunch of brush killer in it. I'm really afraid to touch it. The other problem is the patch is near the property line, and my neighbor is not very nice. So if the main part is in his yard I would not have excess to it.

Rose

• klaa2
    15 years ago

Would the roots eventually die if the plant above ground level is killed via chemicals (starve them)? I assume the roots also harbor the oils? If not, kill the plant with chemicals and then dig up the roots.

If you properly suit up (including you face because the stuff can and will squirt and spray when yanked) you should be able to work on it yourself. If you are severely allergic or just too apprehensive about the idea, do you know anyone who is not allergic and willing to help you for the day?

You can always call in a profe$$ional. A landscaper should be able to tackle this for you.

It sounds to me like you may have a bigger issue than the Poison Ivy...your neighbor. Hopefully, if he has half a brain, he'll provide access to his yard for complete removal because it'll benefit him.

Whatever you do DO NOT BURN POISON IVY. The smoke is just as bad as the oil and you can inhale it which will make it worse.

• bob64
    15 years ago

It is my understanding that all parts of the poison ivy plant have the nasty oils. Dead plants can get you too. Ditto the advice not to burn it. That is actually one of the problems that wildland firefighters have to deal with.

• roseoops
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My neighbor does not even have half a brain. Some of the PI is in his yard. I spray what I can. I guess there is no easy way. I just keep at it. There is a patch of ditch lilies that some of the PI was growing by. Funny thing is every thing there died but the ditch lilies. Thoses darn lilies can't get rid of them either :)

Rose