Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Controlling wild blackberry

Posted by jankay 7b (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 7:45

Can I control this by cutting the stems to the ground every time I see them? It sprouts in the middle of beds where I can't do the proper digging out/tilling process. There's a big patch just off my property, and the runners have come up all the way across my yard.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Controlling wild blackberry

I feel your pain, the abandoned property next door has about 1/4 acre of that stuff, the only thing separating our yards is CL fence. Plucking the foliage won't kill it at all. Do not till, you'll just multiply it by doing that. Your beds need a border/barrier that you can monitor and control more easily. RU doesn't kill it, just leather gloves and vigilant pulling including roots, dig those you can, smother parts of it if possible.

o

How do you smother? You mean with black plastic or something?

o

Yes, you can kill it by removing green growth every time you see it. It will require several years of persistent action on your part, but you can win.

o

Plastic without something (like mulch) weighing it down might not do it. Since it's in beds, I would put newspaper or cardboard, overlapping well, covered with several inches of mulch to hold it down, making firm contact with the soil. You don't have to remove that later, like you would plastic, it will just decompose. Then keep an eye on the edges for anything escaping the smother layer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here