Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
are this poison ivy seedlings?

Posted by coeng NE NJ (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 12 at 9:04

We just moved into our house last June. I had no poison ivy anywhere. Now these little buggers started popping up EVERYWHERE on my mulch beds around the house and property. What's the deal?

I started to spray them with Roundup Poison Ivy Killer yesterday. I did have some much larger and more established ones as well as one bunch that started to climb a tree and the bottom of one of my azaleas.

Why were those plants much larger than these seedlings? Unless these seedlings are not really poison ivy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: are this poison ivy seedlings?

It looks a bit like Japanese honeysuckle to me. Does that grow where you live?

o

I'm not at sure what these seedlings are, but i know for certain that they are not poison ivy.

o

Those are Cottonwood seedlings. Remember all those white fuzzies that were floating around a week or so ago? Those are the result of those fuzzies.

o

Cottonwood seedlings? Maybe it was just a coincidence that I happened to find a nice length of poison ivy wrapping up the bottom of one of my azaleas right next to where these seedlings were.

There are so many of these seedlings everywhere. What's the best way to get rid of them? Pull them out or spray them?

Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing these fuzzies flying around a local park just before the weekend. Since the wind was blowing, it literally looked like it was snowing.

o

Yes, coincidence. PI often comes up in the middle of shrubs or perennials since birds like to perch in/on them (and 'drop' all kinds of seeds.)

While they're that small, sprouts will easily come completely out. Spraying is for desperate situations where manual control has been attempted and failed, IMO. Also, tree sprouts are so numerous, small, and constant over a period of time that one would have to use an inordinately large amount of spray to deal with them over a large bed or yard with numerous beds.

I have one bed under an oak tree and for the past few weeks, there are oak sprouts to pull every day. When I lived in OH, it was silver maple and ash sprouts. It's just part of gardening. The more often you pull unwanted sprouts, the easier they are to pull and the fewer of them there are to pull at a time. Also, tree seedlings can become difficult to pull after just a few days. If you don't get the taproot, they can often keep trying, and digging in deeper. Tree sprouts are one type of "weed" that mulch just can't prevent.

o

Definitely not poison ivy seedlings.

Gregg E. Bullwinkel

o

Yep, I think everyone agreed on that. Good to hear from a new person, though.

...still pulling 50-100 oak sprouts a day. I'm putting a sheet over that bed this fall, sheesh!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here