Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me identify this weed / plant.

Posted by WendyTee 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 9:14

Anyone know what this is?????!!! It has been trying to take over my flower garden. It has very long roots. I am in Southeastern Virginia. Someone told me it could be a type of Morning glory or Wild Sweet potato. I have doubts about that because I have never seen any flowers on any of them. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of these without harming flowers I want to plant in the same area? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me identify this weed / plant.

Compare to Houttuynia cordata. Goes nuts in moist, full sun areas, but grows in part shade as well.
hortster

o

I have this growing everywhere. It is very hard to get rid of.

o

What kind of flower does this get. It looks more like Nightshade or wild Morning Glory to me.
Both have extensive root systems that need to be pulled out.

o

Since you don't want it, shovel up the roots to get rid of whatever it is. If there are orange/purple potatoes, it's sweet potato. I doubt that's what it is since they are still dormant here. If it's Houttuynia, you can't garden that spot until you get rid of this. Little pieces of root not found/removed can keep growing new plants. Smothering might work for you. Can you add a pic of the whole area?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here