Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Kill Henbit?!

Posted by taupe79 z5 Illinois (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 07 at 9:24

I have henbit that is taking over my rose bed. I am pulling it daily, but I work full time, and it's getting ahead of me! Is there any kind of weed killer that I can use on it that won't kill my roses that are in the same bed?! Thanks in advance!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Kill Henbit?!

The only place I have a problem with Henbit is where the soil is bare. The areas with a good mulch do not allow the seeds to germinate. Never have bare, exposed soil in the garden. Always cover any soil with a mulch for fewer "weed" problems.

o

Henbit is a cool season weed that produces seeds in the fall. To kill henbit you have to treat with a pre-emergent in the fall to early spring. The best is Isoxaben, just follow the instructions on the container.

o

I have found great results with covering the soil with 4 sheets of newspaper and then putting mulch on top. This blocks weeds from growing again and seeds from sprouting. But it stills allows water and air to get in.

Try a small area and see how you like it!

o

"To kill henbit you have to treat with a pre-emergent in the fall to early spring. "
No. A good mulch would be far better then any pre emergent plant poison, and much less expensive.

o

Is it really Henbit? Lamium purpureaum keeps getting ided as Lamium amplexicaule on these forums. Not that it makes much difference to the strategy. They're both annuals and can be forked out quite easily. Once that's done a think mulch will prevent the rest of the seeds germinating.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here