Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic Mustard Seed Dispersal

Posted by docmom z5 MI (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 9:26

I live in an area where the homes on my side of the street all back up to public land that is swampy woods that then backs up to the interstate. There are probably 30-40 acres of heavily wooded swamp and gently rolling hills. There is Garlic mustard growing in patches. My question is, How important is it to eradicate every clump vs just those that are just behind my property? Do the seeds blow significantly, or do they mostly drop and get carried by water or foot traffic? Or does anyone really know? TIA.

Martha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic Mustard Seed Dispersal

Lots of info if you use your fav search engine w/ the search phrase "Garlic Mustard Seed Dispersal" (but no quote marks).

o

I'm pretty sure it disperses both through wind and by transport by humans and animals. Its a lightweight "stick" pod that has hundreds of seeds in it, so I'd assume small animals like squirrels or birds could also transport it.

o

I pull this stuff out of my garden beds but I have given up trying to control the forest and roads. It would just stress me out too much. Same goes for dandelion and some other weeds. I've made peace with them.

You just sometimes can't control Mother Nature. I learned to enjoy the flowers out there and soon they are gone for the summer. Bye Bye...see you next year! Some years are better (or worse) than others. The only thing I actually go out and kill is poison ivy, but only where I walk or on my property.

I have enough stress with what goes on in my garden! lol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here