Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID weed please!

Posted by fariefalls CT (My Page) on
Tue, May 26, 09 at 10:09

Hello

I'm confused as to whether or not these plants are weeds. Could someone identify them for me please?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Weed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID weed please!

The larger trifoliate-leaved weed to the left in the picture is quite likely POISON IVY. The smaller trifoliate plant to the right in the picture looks more like either skunkbush or fragrant sumac. All three of these plants are in the same genus, but other than a weird odor when crushed, the skunkbush or fragrant sumac are not irritants like poison ivy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fragrant sumac

o

thanks! There are poison ivy all over the ground yes, but the bright green leaves aren't part of a tree or shrub I think...any ideas what it might be growing from the ground?

o

Looks like ground ivy - yep, another weed.
hortster

Here is a link that might be useful: Ground ivy

o

If you mean the lighter green leaves on the right, that would be juvenile foliage on skunkbush or fragrant sumac. The picture I linked to was mature foliage.
hortster

o

The light green plant with the strait stem is jewelweed. The sap is used to conteract the oils in poison ivy. They are often seen growing close to each other.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here