Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lanae_

Help killing large area

LanaE.
9 years ago

I moved into my home a little over a year ago and the yard has overwhelmed me. I've finally come up with a plan, but don't know how to implement it. I have several large sections where weeds have overtaken. Weeds of all sorts. There's some of those tree seedlings that have gotten quite large, some bushy things, some ivy and other creepy crawly things. It's a mess. How do I kill all of these weeds but still make the soil useable later? One area I want to use as a vegetable garden next year and another area would be perfect for a dogwood tree.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Comments (7)

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Glyphosate (Roundup) will kill all that. The trees, if they are over a couple of feet will need to be cut, so cut them and paint glyphosate on the stump around the cambium layer (green inside bark) to kill down to the roots and dig them up after a few moths. I have about 3/4 acre that I spray once or twice a year (on the weeds, small trees) and keep it pretty clear.

Jon

• jean001a
    9 years ago

For killing the unwanted trees. triclopyr (an active ingredient rather than a product name) is more effective than is Roundup (active ingredient glyphosate)

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Many tree seedlings will die if simply cut and will not regrow, so most of the time no poison spray is needed.
    If those tree seedlings have grown too large for a lawn mower to cut off a saw of some kind should do just as well, especially since that is what will need to be done if a plant poison is used and they die from that. They will still need to be cut.
    I would mow the area first before spending any money on plant poisons.

• LanaE.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions. I do want to plant in that soil so will the Roundup make the soil unusable?

• ltilton
    9 years ago

No, contact with soil deactivates Roundup, you can plant within a few days.

• JasonFromWNY
    9 years ago

Itilton is right about Roundup being rendered inactive rapidly on soil contact. However, many premixed Round-up products are a mix of Glyphosate (the active ingredient in Round-up) and some other chemistry.

This is done because while Round-up is effective against most plants, it takes a week or so before you notice it working. Adding another chemical to the blend provides a faster visible response. Some of these chemicals have a short residual effect though, so consult the label of the product you use.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

While glyphosate is fairly innocuous by itself all of the sprays sold have other things, usually listed as inert ingredients, that can combine with the glyphosate and produce something that is quite evil. Aside from the expense of the product, very pricey, there are other, more environmentally better methods of control, available.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting