Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vyagarwal

What is this weed?

vyagarwal
10 years ago

Please help me identify this weed. It is starting to spread a lot in my lawn and I need help controlling it.

Comments (8)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Suggest you send the image to your county's Extension Service office as they're likely to know what's common in your region.

Locate your county's office with this map:
    http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Here is a link that might be useful: locate your county's Extension Service office

• jeanne
    10 years ago

Try the Name That Plant forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Hi & welcome to GardenWeb! Could be an Oenothera.

Jeans, are you two partners in a crusade? People have been asking for weed ID's here since GW started.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I've looked at this picture, too, and don't consider myself a 'slouch ' at identifying weeds. This little sample and with no accompanying information (like flowers), makes it a worthy candidate for suggesting additional resources.

There are some darned 'geniuses' on the Name that Plant Forum! And the local extension office is ALWAYS a responsible suggestion for local information.

What's the problem with trying to provide good service to someone looking for help? Evening primrose was not on the list of plants that I might suggest.

10 years ago

Of course you're not a slouch, nor do I think that about Jean or Jeanne. All of you correctly ID many plants, often. I could probably find where each ID'd a plant specifically for me. Very helpful people on GW!!

The suggestions about other places where help can be found are excellent, I didn't intend to detract from them but see no harm in making some kind of suggestion to google. Saw 2 threads in a row with the same double-team ask-somebody else replies which struck me as quite unusual on a forum where several people per day ask for weed ID's, and the vast majority (grasses notwithstanding) are ID'd with no such suggestions unless/until a few suggestions are rejected and/or more time has passed with no suggestions. Wasn't complaining, just amused, intrigued.

About the plant, there are so many Oenotheras, I definitely don't know them all. It struck me as similar but not evening primrose or I would have offered that specific name for comparison because, IMO, it would be rude to infer that 2 such experienced gardeners didn't recognize such a ubiquitous plant. I apologize for poor wording and having left a wrong impression. Whatever it is, it looks very familiar, like something I've pulled occasionally, but definitely multiple times, like something that's probably a stump in the lawn at the moment.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Well, since you're concerned --the reason I suggested an outside source is that no one on the forum had responded to your query.

10 years ago

True 'dat. Went out to see if I could find the plant this was reminding me of. Probably not the same as this fugly thing who's name I don't kow, but they look similar to me.

10 years ago

Maybe they're cousins. This was up against the shed, got missed by the mower, and may not have been such a tall flowering thing last year.

Vyagarwal, as tall as your weed is, mowing more often could help keep it from making seeds but if it's also spreading at/under ground, that may not help much.