Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow Daisy-like Weed, help ID please?

Posted by ghart PA (My Page) on
Wed, May 6, 09 at 10:28

This daisy-like weed is growing in the middle of my lawn. I just want to ID it so I know if I want to get rid of it or transplant it into one of my gardens.
Description: The flower looks a little like a daisy, it is all yellow, but is only about 1/2 inch across. The flowers bloom in a small group of 6 or so at the end of a long, mostly leaf-less stem about 16-20 inches tall. The base is a leafy mass with buzz-saw like leaves that grow to about 2 inches long. This plant is growing in a small mass, all clumped together in my lawn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Weed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow Daisy-like Weed, help ID please?

Here is another photo that shows the base leaves

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Weed pt2

o
Yellow Daisy-like Weed, help ID please? another photo

Here's one that shows the flower detail. It's a pretty flower, but it's in my lawn!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Weed pt3

o

Looks like Senecio aureus.

o

Also looks like prairie groundsel, Packera plattensis?

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie groundsel

o

Correct, both Senecio plattensis and S.aureus are now Packera plattensis and P.aurea
I beieve the plant is P.aurea -- look at the basal leaves clearly seen on "Yellow weed pt2" link above. Compare them to plattensis/aurea basal leaves (more images could be found under the old name -- Senecio aureus).

o

LOL. Sorry, I entered that last one "tongue in cheek." Won't do it again! Sometimes our nomenclature deserves a tweak in the...bud.
Hortster

o

• Posted by
    Rosanne Ill.
    (rmb56@aol.com) on
    Sun, May 8, 11 at 15:11

My yellow weed is low, daisy-like flowers w/ 7-8 petals. Very short plants. Leaves shiny and similar in shape to violet leaves. Help! They started in my boggy back yard and are overtaking everything! I've dug them up and they have ball-like bulblets growing on the roots.
How can I get rid of them?

o

Roseanne, you may want to start a new discussion.

And you can find your

Here is a link that might be useful: zone here

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here