Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turning weeds over, how effective for weed control?

Posted by diannelmt 6 (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 11:12

My mother has always used a method of weed control for large areas covered in weeds where she takes a shovel under the weed clumps and flips them over, roots up toward the sun, tops of the weeds to the ground.

She claims that it works, for weed control, and the roots dry up and die and the green parts of the weeds decompose into compost.

Is this really effective, especially in large areas, or could this just spread the weeds even more?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turning weeds over, how effective for weed control?

It works very well. On a larger scale it is referred to as plowing.

o

I guess plowing and tilling are not the same thing? I was told that tilling can actually spread weeds, but I guess plowing is different since the weeds are just turned over rather than ground up.

That makes sense!

o

Plowing is the same thing as tilling, and both can turn up "weed" seeds that might germinate.
Your mother did what many of us do with "weeds" if we don't gather them up and compost them, although there are thos neat freaks that cannot bear to see this kind of messy garden and have this strong need to throw away those "weeds" and the nutrients the took from the soil and which you will need to replace.

o

Don't do this with dandelions though cuz they'll sprout seeds as they die. If you want to prevent the weed seeds from germinating, you can mulch after you till it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here