Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naughtywildcat

Weeds among Periwinkle

naughtywildcat
15 years ago

I moved into a new house, and inherited a front yard that consists of a bed running down the front and side of the house that is well done, with Dwarf Alberta Spruce, matching Azaleas, and green and white Hostas. This bed is largely maintained just by itself, it only needs a bit of pulling now and then.

However, the rest of the front yard is another story. The yard is filled with a grove of trees, and that coupled with the thicker grove across my driveway means pretty deep shade. I have been told that the trees are some sort of mullbery variety, minus the berries.

There are some plants in the yard, already, namely a few Blue Angel Hostas which I am nursing to a larger size this year, and periwinkle, plus a few scattered daffodills and irises.

My question is this: The vacant areas of the yard are overwhelmed with weeds. I am working on a plan to handle that at this point, however, one of my other concerns is the weeds that are growing up through the periwinkle. I like this plant, and enjoyed its beautiful little flowers early in the spring, however, its not so pretty now that summer is here and the weeds are growing through the vines.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to control the weeds without having to destroy or remove the periwinkle. I have future plans to plan Hellebores through the empty areas of the yard, and am working with newspaper/mulch already, and am having great success.

Any advice is appreciated!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz