Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Weedy wisdom, and some darn good sauce

Last week I went out to remove last year's dead branches from the lantana along fenceline, then started cutting down the raspberry vines on my side, trying to keep things tidy and be a good neighbor. They're really tasty, btw, and I was eating the ripe ones as I worked. Until I let them go the past couple years, the fenceline was kept trimmed and tidy on both sides. The old lady who lived on that side was militant about "them weeds" but about the same time I lost control on my side of the fence, she became unable to get out and do any gardening, passed away, and her grandson lives there now with his family.

Anyway, the grandson came out and was inspecting his veggie patch and we were talking for a few minutes, then he went inside. He came back out a few minutes later and handed me a pretty, big bottle of barbecue sauce. He said he had just made it and it had a lot of berries in it. I thanked him for the unexpected and very generous gift and took it inside, and sat down to take a break. And then it hit me - that was his gentle way of telling me it was OK to leave the raspberry vines to grow, and probably his preference.

I thought this was a great example of how gardening can teach us so much, so many parables are illustrated here. He could have said something about how he wouldn't mind if I just let the berries grow but it could have started a disagreement if I disagreed. We don't know each other hardly at all so although I wouldn't have disagreed, he had no way of knowing that and I just love the way he chose to make his point without the possibility of creating any dischord.

I could have spent the rest of the day getting scratched up and sore, removing more vines. But my neighbor, through his diplomacy, showed me it wasn't necessary. So I ended up with a huge nasty chore that no longer needed to be done, and some seriously good sauce! It's incredible, we've had it on grilled chicken twice already.

Sometimes we're beating ourselves up just because we think we should. Our focus can become so narrow that we miss the big picture. Now I'm not saying everyone should stop pulling their weeds, but hey. If you sit back and think about it, maybe there's some lemonade to be made from whatever lemons you're dealing with. Even if all you can come up with is appreciating their contribution to your compost.

What have your weeds taught you?

Comments (6)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

What a nice story! Be SURE to try that BB sauce on pork, too. :-)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mmmmm, you're right! It was delicious on pork chops and inspired me to make some similar sauces when our figs started coming on. I've also discovered that the "wild garlic" in the yard is delicious!

• linda_schreiber
    12 years ago

No story as great as yours, Purple. [Sincere compliments. Great story, and well told. I suspect that the grandson is going to be a good neighbor. Would like to meet him.]

But various bouts with weeds, both minor and *huge* have taught me a few things.

Charming unknown friends that appear out of nowhere, and suddenly take up residence, should be welcomed. But after the initial welcome-party, you should go off to quickly and quietly check out just who and what they are.... Some you can laugh with over breakfast, and they will remain friends for years. Others, whose 'charming faces' are false, need to be greeted in the morning with a shovel. Or napalm.

One woman's frustratingly rampant weed is another woman's *very* welcome salad green.

It's lovely to have a vision for a part of the property, and make major changes in what is already pretty not bad there to make that vision a reality! But be aware.... There is such a thing as a long-term 'seed bed'.... The zombies awake, and start moving across the land. Be ready!! Gaahh!!

Ya can't judge a book by its cover, or a weed by its size. There are things that will get to be 5 ft tall that I will walk by and say "Ah, I'll get you later." And others that will be just a few inches tall that I will see, stop short, and dig out with vicious enthusiasm! Has to do with that old saying "Know your enemy!"

There are a few big weed problems that are serious. But most of them can be pulled tomorrow, or next week, as well as they can be today. So, for today, I will not weed. I will listen to the birds, and enjoy the breeze, and enjoy the flowers, and relax.....

• anitamo
    12 years ago

Great stories purple and linda. Excellent food for thought.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

I so enjoyed those stories! Had a very frustrating day just with the chaos that is my life right now. Don't know what was wrong but nothing was right apparently. Went out to the garden or what used to be the garden to pull thistles since this was the first dry day in a long time. Felt 100% better when I came in 2 hours later with 2 tired dogs and covered in scratches. Oh that shower felt good!
    First time on this forum and this is what I read. Thanks so much for posting these! :)

Ginny Garden

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, it's berry time again, and I am reminded of and thankful for this story. We've picked an awesome amount of berries this year but, I admit, most were eaten on ice cream and in pancakes instead of made into a sauce.

I've also discovered that if I call the weeds ground covers, the out-of-control aspect is diminished, mentally. Needing to teach the ground covers a lesson is so much more appealing and positive than needing to go pull weeds. No less sweaty or difficult, but sounds so much less dreadful.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area