Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spectracide/Bayer 'Triple Strike' Weed Killer ?

Posted by robert11 usda 5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 12, 06 at 11:51

Hello:

Have a gravel front yard with several trees and bushes.

Have a slew of weeds, and weed-grass poking thru the gravel.

Tried Roundup, and the weeds are pretty still healthy !

Anyone have any experience with this Spectracide/Bayer "Triple Strike" product ?

- Effectiveness, etc. ?

- Even more important, how safe is it for nearby trees ?

e.g., for any that seeps thru the gravel, do the tree
and / or bush roots tend to absorb it ?

Thanks,
Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spectracide/Bayer 'Triple Strike' Weed Killer ?

• Posted by jayk 8b (My Page) on
    Fri, May 12, 06 at 23:40

The "Triple Strike" product contains dicamba, which can affect underlying roots of trees and shrubs if applied incorrectly, or after repeated use, especially in coarse soils or gravel. Roundup will not typically present these issues. It should work for you if applied according to directions, although it can take several weeks to see the control.

o
When can I water the lawn?

I just applied Spectracide to my lawn. When will it be safe for pets to walk in that grass, or to lie down in the grass? I would like to water the yard to wash any residue off the blades. So, how long before it is effective on dandelions and simple broadleafs? No thistles, crabgrass, etc.

o
RE: Spectracide/Bayer 'Triple Strike' Weed Killer ?

Theoretically once one of these poisons has dried, or in 24 hours after application, your lawn is "safe" for children and pets to walk on. There is some research that indicates these poisons are still there, on the soil, for many days after application and is in the water you drink, at least according to the EPA ground water research people.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here