Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed or Grass

Posted by taras49 10 (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 12 at 11:52

I could use some help in Identifying wether this is weed or grass. Either way I don't like how it looks. The tops of the blades resemble a wheat plant? It has pretty much taken over the entire lawn. How do I rid myself of them?

Image link: Weed or Grass (56 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed or Grass

Perhaps annual bluegrass, technical name Poa annua.

If so, a very common lawn invader.

o

Might be Annual Bluegrass, although it tends to grow in more of a clump, or it might be Annual Ryegrass. Both are cool weather grasses that die out in the hot summer weather and are consiered "weeds" by many, although both are sold as cover crops.
The method of ridding your lawn of either of these would also kill off your lawn is you chose to apply something. Since shortly they will doe off anyway I would not concern myself too much and concentrate of keep them from making seeds and encouraging the grass I want to grow in strong and healthy and thick to discourage any seeds produced form germinating this fall.

o

Okay, Thank you, but how would I encourage the grass' that I want? Over Seeding?

o

From a capitalist's perspective: what you desire is a monopoly for the grass variety of preference. It will take effort to eliminate the competition. Certain fertilizers include poisons which allow your particular lawn type to prevail, but the most certain approach is to sit down with a hand tool and dig them out while you still can.

When I bought this house, the lawn was pure evil. I found remnants of an earlier lawn, and just dug out everything else. It took a while, but my lawn is postcard quality now.

The longer you delay, the worse things will become. Help your lawn to beat the competition!

o

You don't have to subscribe to the monoculture requirement for mowed areas in your own yard unless you want to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here