Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed control near trees

Posted by mosquitogang201 GA (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 11:53

What's the best way to control weeds near trees? I live on a half acre lot that has a couple older trees and several young trees that I am trying to grow. My lawn is overrun with weeds, mostly annuals but there are also a couple hundred dandelions. Last year I let my father-in-law treat the yard, we used Bonus S (atrazine) and also a three-way Weed-B-Gone a couple weeks apart. This took care of weeds for the year but also killed off 3 trees I had planted and damaged the older trees (lots of curling leaves). We were careful not to get anything on the trees so it must have been picked up by the roots.

I've considered spot treating the dandelions this year, putting down a pre-emergent this fall, and hoping that will take care of most of it. Are pre-emergents safe to use around newly transplanted trees? I'm planning to plant 2 or 3 more this fall. Every pre-em label I have read says it can only be used near "established" trees but does not define how established it must be. Is there any other advice anyone can offer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed control near trees

How near? Newly planted trees can have mulch mats to keep weeds down. You can buy them or make your own from cardboard, carpet, felt, etc.

o

I do have a ~3ft diameter circle of pine straw around the new trees so that I don't have to mow up against the trunk. Which helps but is not enough to keep any herbicides out of the root zone.

o

The general guideline is that it takes 2 years for a tree to become established.

o

You can try spot treatment but at that rate, you could also try the weed-claw-puller-outer which grabs plants like dandelions and pulls out their taproot. It will seem daunting at first, with a couple of hundred dandelions, but even a plan like planting 40,000 daffodil bulbs begins with the first one, so just do it over several days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here