Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pros & Cons to Preen?

Posted by mxracer264 z5MI (My Page) on
Mon, May 15, 06 at 11:54

I've always been 100% organic but I am getting older and so are my knees and back. Is Preen effective and what are the long term drawbacks?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pros & Cons to Preen?

Hello there~ I would be interested in what people have to say about this too. I have been using Preen for a few years now. It works very well for me, I was also told to put it on later in the fall to control winter weeds. I still try not to use chemicals if I can but my joints are yelling at me all the time anymore. I have always wonder about long term use?? Thanks Debbie

o

• Posted by jayk 8b (My Page) on
    Wed, May 17, 06 at 20:14

The active ingredient in Preen is trifluralin. It works by affecting seedling root growth. It doesn't stop germination, but does keep the seedling from establishing.You can find some information at this link. Soil incorporation by watering in the product or by mechanical means is essential if the product is to work. Preen works fairly well on grasses when used as directed, but is not very good for some of the broadleaf weeds. The active ingredient is very toxic to fish, which is why it should not be used near waterways.

Here is a link that might be useful: Extoxnet

o

You could try corn gluten.
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1997/6-20-1997/cornglut.html

o

My father is elderly (91) and no longer able to keep up with the demands of a rather high-maintenance yard. A number of his shrubs and flower beds are overrun with cheat grass. Will Preen Weed & Grass help to control cheat grass? Any advice will be much appreciated.

o

A much easier and cheaper means of weed control is a good mulch, although that will not stop invasive grasses, but then little or nothing except a good, solid barrier between the planting bed and grass will either.
Preen does not add anything beneficial to your soil, as mulch does,
Preen will not aid in retaining soil moisture, as mulch will.
Preen will not aid in keeping your soil cooler, as muclh will.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here