Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willyrok

The weeds are coming!

willyrok
10 years ago

Hi, My name is Bill and I have weeds.

2 years ago I moved into a new (to me) home in central NC. While the front yard is fine, the back yard was overrun with weeds, mostly chickweed. By the end of the summer, large areas of the backyard were just covered with thick mats of chickweed, so much that it choked out the grass in those areas. So in the Fall I killed the entire backyard, sprayed it, waited 2 or 3 weeks while it died, then sprayed it again. Then sowed grass and started a new lawn. It looked great, until the following Spring when the weeds came back in force.

The next Fall I killed about 75% of the yard, the rest was mostly grass. But instead of sowing it then, I left it until this Spring and sprayed it again, and again, waiting until April 1st to sow more grass, letting the weeds come up and spraying them periodically. Smart, I thought. After all, I learned it the hard way the year before.

Well, not so much it turns out. The new grass is doing well, and the chickweed is coming on again. And it's not even hot yet. Unchecked it will proliferate as before.

So, the new grass is about a month old and doing quite well, mowed twice already. What can I do or put down to kill or even just slow down the the chickweed, and when can or should it be put down considering the new grass?

Thanks,
Bill

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus