Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a weed?

Posted by turner_nj z7 NJ (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 11 at 12:42

Hi all,

We just sort of accepted this plant, but it is a bit too near some grasses now. I was about to move it (I don't remember it being offensive, but not beautiful either) and thought I'd try asking what it is before going through the trouble.

This sits in relative bright light, sun off & on throughout the day. It's currently about 2.5 feet high.

http://www.turnerdesign.com/plant/

Any help appreciated!
Thanks,
Andrew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a weed?

• Posted by hortster 6A southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Sat, May 28, 11 at 14:03

It might be one of the many rudbeckias (black-eyed Susans).
hortster

o

Echinacea may be ?

Here is a link that might be useful: Echinacea

o

It looks more like echinacea (coneflower) than rudbeckia.

If it's coneflower, it will have a purple daisy-like flower with a dark center in late summer. White petals are also possible, or if it's an exotic variety, pink or orange!

Echinacea doesn't spread so fast as to be invasive. It's attractive to bees and butterflies, and the dried flowerheads can be left for winter interest. I very much like them in my landscape and try to dig and transplant any young seedlings--the larger plants do NOT transplant well because of their long taproot.

o

I agree. Coneflower, a desirable perennial.

o

Thanks all!

This is incredibly helpful.

My wife said she thinks it's the coneflower. I'll do my homework; I've been looking for a good source for general reference / wiki of some sort that also might cover how to move plants around, suitability for containers, etc.

Of course, that search is what led me here ;)
Thx
Andrew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here