Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonathanf1968

Burdock recipe

Jonathan
16 years ago

Burdock is running riot, over here.

I did try this recipe, and it's unfortunately not delicious enough for me to cook up the hundreds of burdock plants at my disposal, but it did feel nice to eat this pest. I might do it again, just for spite.

1. Get a burdock root. Peel away the outside to reveal a white inner core.

2. Wash it, cut it into 1-inch lengths, and boil it for half an hour, changing the water halfway through.

3. Coat it with butter, lemon, and salt, and then eat it angrily.

It's not bad, actually. It's not particularly good either, but it's not bad.

--Jonathan

Comments (7)

• shapiro
    16 years ago

Dear zootjs: Hate to say this, but almost any piece of vegetable matter, when cooked, then coated with butter, lemon and salt will taste OK.

Some are better than others! :))

• Jonathan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

True, very true.

--Jonathan

• maifleur01
    16 years ago

Try looking for Japanese receipts for "gobo". I loved your and eat angrly. I had seen gobo at the supermarket for a long time before I finally found out what culture used it as food.

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi Jonathan,
    Please go to My Page and click on My Clippings. If you scroll down, there a couple posts on Burdock with my recipe that I save from awhile ago.
    Remy

• foodie_scientist
    16 years ago

I tried this recipe yesterday it was very good.. my boyfriend and I ate a lotta burdock because it was so tasty..

1 burdock root
    2 tablespoons vinegar
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 teaspoons sugar
    2 teaspoons mirin(optional)
    1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

1. soak burdock (thinly sliced about 0.25 inch) in water enough to cover all the burdock.
    2. drizzle 2 table spoons of vinegar in the water.
    3. Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the pan over high heat.
    4. Add burdock to the pan until cooked through-a bit transparent.
    5. Reduced to low heat. Add 3 tablespoons of soysauce, 2 teaspoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of mirin. Cook until the sauce is reduced.
    6. Sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds.

Enjoy!

• nordfyr315
    16 years ago

My mother raised us eating a burdock recipe that is delicious. Collect young-ish leaf stems. The white ones are better but if they have that touch of red which they will acquire as they mature, they are still fine. Boil stems with baking soda for 5-10 minutes to rid them of the fuzziness and make them tender and then dip them in flour and egg and saute as a sort of vegetable tempura. My mother comes from an old yankee background (she got the recipe from her mother) but soy sauce is an excellent addition for dipping. This is actually my favorite vegetable of all. I am probably the only person here that would be happy to have a yard full of burdock.

• annieocco
    12 years ago

Note to Remy

Gosh, this is the way MY Sicilian grandma fixed burdock stems. Somehow, tho, she called it "gardoona." PRobably because it was similar to the "cardoon" plant? Dunno...

Anyway, your recipe brought back a happy memory; thanks a lot.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!