Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is this weed taking over my Chicago lawn?

Posted by JimBachor il (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 15:05

hi -

HELP! what is this??? and any ideas on how to treat?

thanks in advance for any help!

jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is this weed taking over my Chicago lawn?

It looks like ground ivy to me. And it looks dense-I don't see any grass. Ground Ivy is hard to control. Possibly use Round-up then reseed the grass.

o

Probably is Ground Ivy, "Glechoma hederacea" and using any glyphosate product is overkill because they are very broad spectrum poisons that will kill everything they contact. Ground Ivy can be an indicator of a soil problem since they tend to want to grow. Generally Ground Ivy preferes a soil that is a bit too moist for most turf grasses and although they will grow in full sun they do prefer shady areas.
Since these seed prolifically you most likely will not ever be rid of it.

o

You can knock it back with a broad leaf herbicide, one containing 2,4-D or Dicamba. Then work on getting the grass thickened up.

2,4-D can vaporize and damage other nearby broadleaved plants. Ash trees and tomatoes are particularly sensitive, so be careful with 2,4-D. Dicamba is much less prone to releasing vapors.

o

You can indeed spray one of the broadleaf weed poisons that are creating many problems with our environment and then when these "weeds" reseed you can spray again. The long term solution is to look at the soil and correct any problems with that and get a good, healthy stand of turf grass growing so any "weeds" have little to no chance to grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here