Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
p_ferrell

Weed Identification

p_ferrell
16 years ago

I have three weeds I would like identified. The photos are on the PhotoBucket site (follow link below).

Weed 1:

Probably a summer annual, it has a taproot but pulls easily. It has alternate leaves with a petiole. The leaves are spatulate in shape, 2" long (incl petiole) and 1/2" wide.

The growth is generally low. It has not yet flowered.

Weed 2:

This one is starting to dwindle off with the heat, but it is still strong in the part-shade areas of the lawn. It has whorled leaves (typ 4-6 per group), lancelate in shape without petioles. The leaves are 1/4-3/8" long, 1/8" across. The leaves are somewhat fleshy. The flowers are 4-petaled, purple, 1/8" across. It has square stems, spreading growth and breaks off easily at the growth crown.

Weed 3:

Mat-like prostrate growth, some up to 8" in diameter at this time. Some stems are reddish in color. The leaves are alternate(?) and linear without petiole - approximately 1" long by 1/16" wide. I have not seen the flowers in bloom, but it has small tufted seed heads. It has a taproot but pulls easily. (I am pretty sure this is NOT rustweed, but I welcome corrections.)

I live in North Texas, zone 7/8. The lawn is sparse bermuda turf, heavy clay and not particularly fertile. All of these weeds are happy in full sun.

I have used some on-line ID keys, taken samples to the local nursery and visited with the County Extension Agent. I know several ways to get rid of the weeds from my lawn and keep them from coming back, but I'd like to know their names.

Thank you,

P Ferrell

Here is a link that might be useful: Weed photos on Photobucket

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH