Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irene_in

How to get rid wintercreeper

Irene_IN
19 years ago

Wintercreeper/Euonymus fortunei is taking over one corner of my backyard,climbing on the fence and up a maple tree.

Is there any spray that will kill the stuff?

I cut it back from the tree and fence,but it is a losing battle. Any suggestions?? here is a link to what it looks like. Irene

Here is a link that might be useful: wintercreeper

Comments (2)

• youreit
    19 years ago

According to this site, Irene -

"MANAGEMENT OPTIONS: A variety of mechanical and chemical methods are available for management of climbing euonymus. Grubbing, a rather labor intensive method, is effective for small populations or environmentally sensitive areas where herbicides cannot be used. Using a pulaksi or similar digging tool, remove the entire plant, inlcluding all roots and runners. Juvenile plants can be hand-pulled when the soil is moist and root systems are small. Any portions of the root system remaining may resprout. All plant parts including stem fragments and mature fruits should be bagged and disposed of in a trach dumpster to prevent reestablishment.

"Cut stem treatment, using systemic herbicides applied to freshly cut stems, is effective in areas where vines are well established on or around non-target plants, or where they have grown into tree canopies or other vertical surfaces. Cut the stem as close to the ground as possible and immediately apply a 25% solution of glyphosate (e.g., Roundup) or triclopyr (e.g., Garlon) and water to the cut stem. This procedure is effective at temperatures as low as 40 degrees F. Subsequent foliar application of these herbicides may be required. Cutting without the application of herbicides is generally not recommended because this will lead to root sprouting.

"Foliar applications of herbicide can be used to control large populations. It may be necessary to precede foliar sprays with cut stem treatments to reduce the risk of damage to non-target plants. Apply a 2% solution of glyphosate or triclopyr and water plus a 0.5% non-ionic surfactant to thoroughly wet all foliage but not so heavily that it drips off leaves where it may affect desirable plants. Glyphosate is a non-selective systemic (i.e., travels through the plant vessels) herbicide that may kill even partially sprayed plants. Triclopyr is selective to broad leaf species and is a better choice if desirable native grasses are present. Ambient air temperature should be above 65 degrees F."

Brenda

• Irene_IN
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Brenda, Thanks for the site. I see that my cutting it down without spraying has only helped it spread. I will take action on it as the weather here is improving. Irene

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH