Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
five leaves, thorns, arcing stem (pic)

Posted by kathleen_j KY (My Page) on
Sat, May 20, 06 at 15:37

I hope one of you can identify this weed. I don't remember seeing it in this spot last year.

The plant is shrublike, with long arcing woody stems, about 5 to 6 feet tall. The leaflets are in groups of five, and the "flowers" are little balls of stars.

The stems have thorns which are more noticeable on the younger green stems. Older stems are woody looking.

Any ideas? I would love to know what this is before I decide whether or not to remove it.

Image link: five leaves, thorns, arcing stem (pic) (52 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: five leaves, thorns, arcing stem (pic)

I believe that is a fiveleaf aralia! I have the same woody shrub/tree and went thru numerous books to identify it. (So, that said, there is a small possibility I am wrong.) I stumbled upon this on my small but semi wooded property and fell in love instantly. Last year, I took new, green cuttings and propigated four more with little effort. They seem to be very vigorous, and just this week I took several more cuttings. I don't know the size you have now, but the reference I have used claims they can be pruned for a more upright appearance. I myself prefer the arching effect. The established tree I have is in almost complete shade and does beautifully. If you would like more info, I could copy the pages from my book(Manual of Woody Landscape Plants) and send it to you,. I think they are beautiful!

o
RE: five leaves, thorns, arcing stem (pic)

Hey Kathleen,

I was just wondering if you could tell me more about where you found this shrub (Acanthopanax sieboldianus ). I also live and work in KY and have just this past week discovered this plant growing in two natural areas (Cumberland Falls and Pine Mountain State Park). Could you tell me more about where you found your shrub? County?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here