Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this & how do I kill it?

Posted by suzie29 none (My Page) on
Thu, May 9, 13 at 15:41

I cant get rid of this weed & its starting to get way out of control in our lawn. Does anyone know what it is & how to kill it?

Ive used scotts weed & feed granular fertilizer & ortho & bayer weed b gone. It just burns it a bit for about 1 week & its back with a vengeance! Pulling is no good either, they just break off & regrow, can not get the roots out.

Its the clover with the yellow flower

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this & how do I kill it?

It's not clover. The correct name is oxalis.

o

That is one of the Oxalis (Wood sorrel) species and it seeds very prolifically. Many times people will think that plants of this they have pulled out have returned when they have new plants growing from seeds. If, within 5 miles, you have any of these plants growing you will have them in your garden.

o

Since you are using weed killers, try Ortho weed b gon chickweed clover and oxalis killer. It may only be available in a concentrate so you will have to use your own sprayer and mix it with water.

o

It is O. stricta. Knowing your enemy should help you find the right stuff, if you want to put stuff on it.

o

Keeping in mind that Ontario has banned most uses of the common "weed" killers because of environmental concerns and that there are known adverse health affects to humans from most of them, and that simply pulling unwanted plant growth is the simplest and most environmentally friendly method of unwanted plant growth control, why spend money on materials that adversly affect your health as well as the health of the planet you live on?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here